The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The legacy of the Vietnam War > Comments

The legacy of the Vietnam War : Comments

By Maureen Wildes, published 10/10/2005

Maureen Wildes argues it is time to find out the true impact of the Vietnam War on the veterans' children.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. All
More power to you all! Continue to fight for what you believe to be so, do not be put off. The rest of us with a moral conscious are behind your fight, do not think that you are alone there are thoses of us who truely believe that what you are saying is right. You are supported even if you do not know it.

As an ex-partner of a vetI also know what a battle it is to live that life. I left for the reason of my children they did not need to be traumatised by that. I have no contact but my eldest daughter still sends cards and keeps in contact with this sad man who chooses not to battle acoholism and unrational thoughts.
Posted by family jewels, Thursday, 24 August 2006 1:22:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
G'day Vets!

The last poster hit it in a nutshell. I am proud of what you had to do - even though horrendous for all.

You should be proud of yourselves - no matter what.

I am the daughter of a WW2 vet. He also had to do terrible things to save this country.

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Thursday, 24 August 2006 6:05:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Allow me to introduce myself.
My name is Ken O'Brien. I am a PhD researcher at QUT in Brisbane. I have been researching the transgenerational effects of PTSD for over 21 yrs. I have been making some ground-breaking developments with cutting-edge research into this issue. During the past 21 years I have been studying psychology (though not registered), transgenerational effects of various conditions, and sociology and am a son of a Vietnam vet with PTSD and ex-serviceman myself. My current thesis is to collect the "lived experiences" of children and grandchildren of Vietnam veterans in Australia. The information collected will assist the government to develop and implement appropriate policies and principles for the care, recognition and accommodation of the children and grandchildren of Vietnam veterans who live the legacy.

I strongly urge you to support me in my life quest. I have invested 21 years so far, now, devote the rest of my life.

Please look at the formal site at http://prdrslsb.pointclark.net/index.htm and at the other forum on this site at:
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=215

I hope you will join me in this quest for recognition.
Posted by Researchaholic, Wednesday, 22 November 2006 12:43:35 PM
My father is a Vietnam Veteran and suffers from a few health problems which have been proven to be the related to the Vietnam War. I am his 32 year old son and was diagnosed with 'Post Traumatic Stress Disorder' in 1999 and in 2006 I have recently spent some time in a Physchiatric Clinic where I have been diagnosed now with 'Bipola Disorder', which the Physch. and Therapist's say I was born with. Is there any compensation or pensions available for this because the hospital bills and medication which I now have to take for the rest of life is very expensive. I don't think that is a coincidence that my dad has health problems and I have as well!
Posted by SHREDDA, Sunday, 24 December 2006 6:56:24 PM
This is SHREDDA again. In my last article, I forgot to mension that my sister was born after dad got back from the war aswell as myself and my sister had ovarian problems and she's had skin problems since she was born. Is it just a coincidence that we both were born after the war; Dad has problems that was caused from the chemicals,insectersides and whatever else... And then both my sis and I also have!
Posted by SHREDDA, Saturday, 6 January 2007 11:41:07 PM
I am not the daughter of a Vet or have any Vets in my immediate family.

I just wanted you all to know that I stumbled across this forum by accident and was horrified at what I read. You fathers and grandfathers served their country in a horrific and incredibly unpopular war. They not only had to deal with the aggression of the enemy but also the aggression of their country men as well. I am too young to have been around then but I just wanted to say how sorry I am.

I have recently been accepted into ADFA to start some postgraduate research which looks at the impact of peacekeeping on soldiers and police. In light of the lessons we've learnt (or should have learnt) from Vietnam I am trying to find out whether or not more is being done for the current batch of ADF/AFP personnel. I really hope so.

If it feels like you have been forgotten, please remember that there are and will always be people out there who want to take the experiences of the past and make the future better. I'm just so sorry that our government can't do the same. I know it doesn't pay the medical bills or ease the pain, or even explain what the hell is going on but know that there are people who care not because they are involved but for reasons that are more to do with humanity than experience.

Erin
Posted by erindk, Wednesday, 24 January 2007 5:28:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy