The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The legacy of the Vietnam War > Comments

The legacy of the Vietnam War : Comments

By Maureen Wildes, published 10/10/2005

Maureen Wildes argues it is time to find out the true impact of the Vietnam War on the veterans' children.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
Like so many other children of Veterans, I am also a statistic. If this study had been carried out years ago, when it should have, maybe I would have realised what was happening to me, not to mention my father.
Posted by whitelyon, Monday, 10 October 2005 4:11:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi I am the wife of a Vietnam Vet I have 3 children. The first daughter is from my first marriage when I was 18 and the next 2 girls from my second marriage in 1970.
The girls from my second marriage have significant health problems both physical and mental but not so with the first daughter.
Many of my friends notice the same things with their children even when the husband declares "that there is nothing wrong with him"
Many of the children as estranged from their father and so are only learning now that they are not alone with their problems
Posted by amey 1943, Monday, 10 October 2005 4:56:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All veterans and their dependants must make Minister Kelly aware that they will not let her pigeon-hole the recommendations of the Consultative Forum and the Scientific Advisory Committee.

Please write, ring, fax, email your local Federal member, your Senators, and Minister Kelly, Senator Hill, and let them know that the feasability study recomendations must be acted upon.

The above findings will be given to the Minister by the end of this month (October).
Posted by pioneer8rar, Monday, 10 October 2005 5:55:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My sisters and I are estranged from our father, and as such he really has no idea what our health issues are. As we are now mothers ourselves, and have found disturbing health issues with our own children (his grandchildren), we are finding it very difficult to find any answers for our many questions. The original health study shows disturbing statistics but what on earth would the "real" statistics show if this study is to get the nod of approval and be sent out to the sons and daughters themselves instead of the fathers attemping to complete a survey they have no idea of the answers to?
Posted by Anthrach, Monday, 10 October 2005 7:01:52 PM
The Vietnam war.. This is not the only conflict Australian Service personell have been involved nor is it the only cause of problems for service personell and there famalies. No one, least of all me is dismissing the problems caused by this conflict. But I am at a loss that all studies into the disfunctional family group and children seems to be directed at the one conflict "Vietnam". I am an ex serviceman 15 years and have my fair share of problems, but as I did not see "active service in a war like operation" my children are left to tuff it out on there own. I am a special rate TPI and the pension provides no support for my kids or even my wife. God knows she has had to pick up the pieces of a distroyed family group, and try to restore support for the kids.
This is a study which needs to be done and the results are for a good cause but with all things, all must be included. I support the Vets and there cause to my last breath, but some times I get the impression that all is not right in Camalott.
Keep up the hard work and I hope you all get the support that you need but dont forget the next generation of veterians and there families.
Posted by siren, Monday, 10 October 2005 7:32:49 PM
My partner has two girls from a previous marriage and they have no serious health problems. My partner and I produced our own daughter in 1977 (7 years from my return from Vietnam)and following two miscarriages. At the age of 8, our daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Insulin Dependant Diabetes (an auto-immune illness).
This outcome has to be more than just coinsidence or bad luck.
Blackdog 8RAR
Posted by Blackdog 8RAR, Monday, 10 October 2005 7:42:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy