The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How to lose the 'Christian vote' in three hours > Comments

How to lose the 'Christian vote' in three hours : Comments

By Adam Ch'ng, published 5/9/2013

For so many Christians voters, this was the moment that the sheep's clothing came off the wolf's back.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
G'day Shadow,
and thanks for introducing me to this novel concept; sarcasm wow! I'll definitely being looking into this!
Sadly, I didn't have your advantage of a church education, which obviously leaves me with the challenging task of interpreting the written word on my lonesome. I have been somewhat aided in this endeavour, thankfully, by a comparatively recent innovation, introduced by Luther I think, a mere half millenia ago.
I could be wrong -probably am, not having had your educational advantage- but I would have thought the passage was simple enough for a child of moderate intelligence to understand, eg:
“If thou wilt
be perfect, go and sell that thou
hast, and give to the poor, and thou
shalt have treasure in heaven: and
come and follow me.”
As self avowed Christians, should not Messrs Rudd and Abbott be encouraging all Australians to be “perfect”?
One would think a God -by definition- would have a superior insight into the true value of GDP.
Thanks again for introducing me to this thing called sarcasm. I really must try it some time.
Posted by Grim, Saturday, 7 September 2013 6:58:14 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Note to Shadow Minister: Bigots merit the sensitivity and gentleness that they bestow on those whom they insult.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Saturday, 7 September 2013 4:08:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
MM, Grim, and EJ,

From the exit polls, it looks as though the people of Aus are bestowing on Dudd the respect that he displayed to them.

I hope he loses his own seat
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 7 September 2013 6:04:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Firstly, the former PM's lambasting of the bigot in our midst, has been a long time coming. Thankfully we are not all non-thinking, irrationals who view the bible as the word of someone else's fantasy, written long after the main protagonists were dead.

The day Xtians realise that they are not the be all and the end all of moral measurement, and accept that they are but a part of a population which has in part, a lot of thinkers, as opposed to fantasists, the better for them and for the rest of us.

If the churches felt that he had humiliated them, sad. If they had utilised it to begin a conversation on faith, that would have been better, but as usual, they didn't.

The only votes he lost were those who don't feel inspired to think for themselves.
Posted by Daemon, Monday, 9 September 2013 9:32:12 AM
".....It has irreparably damaged his once close relationship with the Christian constituency across Australia."

Blatant hypocrisy abounds.

Here's a letter to Tony Abbott from the Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Darwin (He's a "real" Christian - not a partisan political hack):

http://www.mn.catholic.org.au/news-events/news/2013/letter-from-bishop-eugene-hurley-to-tony-abbott
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 9 September 2013 5:02:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy