The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sex Party could help Pauline slip into senate > Comments

Sex Party could help Pauline slip into senate : Comments

By John Mikkelsen, published 3/9/2013

When it comes to the senate, preference reciprocity counts for more than principal.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Many Australians might “be happy with one vote, one value to the party of their choice”. However, the Constitution is quite clear. Section 7says, “The Senate shall be composed of senators for each State, directly chosen by the people of the State, voting, until the Parliament otherwise provides, as one electorate.” In other words, we retain the right to vote for individuals, and the single transferable vote system used is designed to uphold this right. We can graft a simple above-the-line party system onto the vote for individuals, but we cannot remove the right to vote for individuals.

There are websites, like senate.io, that help voters cast a formal vote below the line. The AEC ought to provide an official app to do the same.

The alternative of “where preferential voting is optional – vote for your preferred candidate or fill in all the squares, simple as that” also has a problem. The problem is that the proportional nature of the system depends on preference flowing through to get candidates to the quota required for election. We do not need all preferences to be filled in, but we do need more than one. That number should be the same for all elections, including double dissolutions. I think 20 is a good choice. If you can’t count to 20, perhaps you shouldn’t be voting at all. Putting numbers above 20 would remain allowed, but not compulsory. I would keep the above-the-line votes, but they would be restricted to 20 preferences. The advantage of this is that many of the temporary parties formed as preference feeders for other parties would find it damaging to their cause because their preferences would exhaust after 20. There would be an incentive for like-minded people to form one party, not three.

I have proposed my scheme in letters to the editor of The Age, but they don’t get published.
Posted by Chris C, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 8:27:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An interesting article. Pref deals do make strange bed fellows. The Stable Population Party allocated prefs to One Nation over the Greens - further evidence that the latter has no environmental credentials at all and that it is an anti-immigration party.

I saw Katter pref other parties above Xenophon, which is unusual as Senator X and the Kat were mates up until 18 months ago. They did a buy Australian tour together. 18 months is a long time in politics though.
Posted by Malcolm 'Paddy' King, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 9:00:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Come back Pauline all is forgiven.

With tens of thousands of Economic Invaders I welcome her to do something.

The problem is getting worse not better as Rudd would have us believe.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 10:14:16 AM
Below the line Senate voting is doing my head in: has anyone actually looked at the Senate Group Voting tickets? Some of them alternately preference one candidate at a time from their favoured fellow parties, despite this having really unpredictable outcome, according to Anthony Green. So these parties apparently don't even understand the deals they are making. We urgently need to reform the system. Perhaps if we get some absolute nutters elected this time there will be impetus for change. The only light on the horizon is that if I make an error of repetition or omission at say, number 20, preferences stop flowing. Also - which surprised me, but check it out on Anthony Greens election blog - we can use an above the line vote as a backstop in case the below the line one ends up invalid.
Posted by Candide, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 12:57:04 PM
with all Pauline's weaknesses she has to be 100% better than the Greens. At least she is not reponsible for thousands of drownings like Greens/Labour.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 2:03:10 PM
Amazing...Three out of five posters above, (including myself), are sympathetic towards Pauline Hanson...
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 2:55:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy