The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Immigrant nation > Comments

Immigrant nation : Comments

By Ross Elliott, published 23/8/2013

When floating your boat, Australia's been a destination for thousands of years. So what's changed?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Half the trouble with this debate is the insidious internationalism of those who cannot understand the fundamental difference between people who enter our territory by permission and those who enter without permission. Entry without permission constitutes invasion, as any of thousands of armies throughout history will tell you.

There seems to be a blindness, an inability to see the other point of view, that makes the debate so poisonous.

It also highlights the political genius of John Howard, who, when confronted with a Labor alliance made up of blue-collar workers and inner city intellectuals, initiated a policy, starting with the Tampa, whose strongest supporters were the Labor Party's heartland.

The political elite often manages to impose a policy of which the the mass of the people disapprove, but which the people don't feel sufficiently strongly about to change their vote. An example of this would be capital punishment.

However if the elite attempt to defy the people on subject about which they feel strongly, the people will simply throw the offending government out of office and put someone in that will carry out the wishes of the people.

Some intellectuals suggest that the solution is for all major parties to jointly defy the people on this issue. If they tried that, I believe that a great mass of the people, including myself, would simply vote for a party like One Nation.

The Labor Party has failed to carry out the wishes of the people on the subject of stopping the boats, and can expect to be thrown out of office in two weeks time.
Posted by plerdsus, Saturday, 24 August 2013 10:39:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
individual "Stop being a moron who threatens them & they will."

I am not threatening anyone.
Do you really think the mindest of women wearing burqas even comprehends or cares what "liberty" is?
Or cares about *my* liberty (to be agnostic, to be gay, to eat bacon), not just their own.

As for the boats, I have a sneaking suspicion those payments would be used to buy yet more rickety fishing boats to sell.
Kaching!
Posted by Shockadelic, Sunday, 25 August 2013 1:24:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
those payments would be used to buy yet more rickety fishing boats to sell.
Shockadelic,
Yo really need to think years further down the track on issues like that. What's the most likely scenario of NOT buying a few dozen boats ? I tell you what, it's tens of thousands of people coming to this country with no good will at heart. I bet you'd like that.
Buy a few boats which is way, way less costly than dealing with thousands of boat people, drownings, rescues & detention centres. Don't for one minute forget that the fisherman with the boats are more desperate than the people they bring in.
Many non-working, non-blue collar Australians in particular have had it so good for so long that the he luxury of compassion makes them feel warm'n fuzzy without a second thought of reality. I say let the proponents of bringing masses & masses of illiterate religious fanatics into this country by having a special tax bracket to pay for it all.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 25 August 2013 7:40:45 AM
Dear individual,

The burden of proof is on your shoulders.
You're the one making the comments with
no facts to support them.
Clearly that makes for a political career
in the Liberal Party.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 25 August 2013 10:59:15 AM
Lexi:

>>The burden of proof is on your shoulders.>>

What does the evidence say?

See:

Settlement outcomes of new arrivals

(Dept. of Immigration)

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/research/_pdf/settlement-outcomes-new-arrivals.pdf

See especially Table 11

It does look as though the "humanitarian intake" from some, not all, countries and regions are going to be reliant on Centrelink benefits for very long periods. Perhaps for the rest of their lives.

Unfortunately I have no data on how the descendants of refugees from "problem" countries or regions fare. However judging by what we see in Europe the outcomes are unlikely to be good.

The best outcomes appear to be for refugees from Central and West Africa, the worst for refugees from Afghanistan and Iraq.

I would have expected refugees from Iran and Sri Lanka to do better.

Had the Dept of Immigration been gathering these statistics in the 1970s I suspect we would see Vietnamese refugees fared best of all.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Sunday, 25 August 2013 11:56:54 AM
Dear Stephen,

You've jumped the gun here.

That wasn't the "evidence" that was being
referred to. I was being facetious about
Individual's persistent comments of
"Moron" and "stupid." Words he uses
regularly to describe anyone who disagrees
with his point of view. Especially
"academics." Go back and re-read his posts.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 25 August 2013 2:00:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy