The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Immigrant nation > Comments

Immigrant nation : Comments

By Ross Elliott, published 23/8/2013

When floating your boat, Australia's been a destination for thousands of years. So what's changed?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Ever since I arrived here I've been told Australia is "a nation of immigrants."

Except it isn't.

It is first and foremost a nation of colonists.

Immigrants seek to work within the pre-existing culture.

Colonists intend to supplant the existing culture and people.

The "White fellas" were not immigrants. They were colonists.

>>For what it's worth, it's my view that the majority of people so desperate to get here today will, just like the waves before them, only make us a better people.>>

Do you believe the arrival of the European colonists made the Aborigines "better people"?

Ever since the "white fellas" arrived the number one priority has been to insure that they are not, in turn, colonised. To that end Australia has a SELECTIVE immigration program. It only allows in people who, so it is hoped, will prosper and contribute to the country the COLONISTS founded.

According to Dept. of Immigration statistics, outcomes for refugees from some countries - especially Afganistan - have not been good.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/research/_pdf/settlement-outcomes-new-arrivals.pdf

After 5 years the best outcomes for the "humanitarian intake" has been from Central and West Africa, 51% employed, the worst from Afghanistan, a mere 9% employed.

It looks as if most refugees from certain countries will be reliant on Centrelink benefits for the rest of their lives. I have no information about how the next generation will fare but, judging from the European experience, not well.

By all means advocate a lenient policy but be honest about the likely consequences
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Friday, 23 August 2013 4:44:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Talking about floating your boat, soon, complements of that genius Phoney Abbott (should he be elected), Australia is going to Indonesia and buying up all the fishing boats so that people smugglers can't buy them!

Yes, soon you'll be able to buy some secondhand fishing boats that are guaranteed to be full of rot and either sink on a sea voyage or the engine will conk out. Sydney harbour will look like Hongkong! What a hoot!

You have to give it to Phoney, the Rhodes Scholar. It takes a certain kind of deranged mind to think up such a preposterous, ridiculous idea.
Posted by David G, Friday, 23 August 2013 5:12:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David G,
have you tried to enroll in some basic thinking lessons ? You'd be surprised to find what reality is all about.
I have spoken with blokes who have taken illegals from New Guinea to Australia. They both told me they take an average of three people a year each. They also said they don't really want to do it but it is their only means of making some money. So, instead of wasting millions of australian tax dollars on the likes of you we could give give these blokes 3 grand a year & by doing so stop quite a few boats. It is money well spent with a positive outcome, what do we we get for the thousands of incompetent bureaucrats ?
Posted by individual, Friday, 23 August 2013 6:30:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
individual - You pay these guys to stop doing it what do you do with the next lot who step in to take there place or the next or the next.

Like the Economic refugees started with a few they then told others who told others now we have Economic Invaders.

But I agree with this part "thousands of incompetent bureaucrats"

I would have gone further and said "thousands of highly paid incompetent bureaucrats".
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 23 August 2013 7:27:49 PM
Stevenlmeyer

The original white settlers were colonists. About 25% of modern day Australians were born overseas, and about another quarter have at least one overseas-born parent. These are migrants: people intending to join and contribute to Australian society, not to dominate or displace it.

You say that refugee arrivals are not a “success”. It depends how you measure “success”. Compared to the outcomes if they had stayed at home or in camps, my guess is the outcomes are very good indeed, even for those who haven’t found work.

Some years ago I was involved with a group that helped to settle refugee families in Australia. Nowadays I see kids who arrived cowed and terrified, with no English, graduating from Australian universities and taking up professional careers. I am proud that we a a country which does that.
Posted by Rhian, Friday, 23 August 2013 7:53:37 PM
Rhian - Quote "I was involved with a group that helped to settle refugee families in Australia."

Only problem is most boats are 95% men only, who can't speak English.
A Gov't report had 85% of refugees (not total but for period of time) here over 5 years still on welfare after 5 years.

Do you want to support them for years and years, I certainly DO NOT.

To quote you again "Nowadays I see kids who arrived cowed and terrified, with no English, graduating from Australian universities and taking up professional careers."

I suspect you are exaggerating here, you are talking about at least a 10 year period here kids to Uni to job, the ones coming here today and for the past few years are not what you had then.
How many detention centers were burnt down back then NONE, just to list one of the crimes committed by a number of the current degenerates.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 23 August 2013 8:28:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy