The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Now we are bargaining with the climate gods > Comments

Now we are bargaining with the climate gods : Comments

By Lyn Bender, published 16/7/2013

Kubler-Ross identified five stages in dealing with terminal illness - denial, anger, bargaining, despair and acceptance.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
HI Daffy Duck (singularly appropriate name)

You have been watching that psychobabble on YouTube which claims that "conservatives" have "absolutist" mindsets, haven't you?

OK, now in order to deprogram you, you need to perform a physical act which is called "concentrating". Then you must ignore your own subjective prejudices and turn on your objective critical analysis circuit. OK so far?

Right. Now, listen to me and use your head. What the YouTube ratbags who posted that stuff up "forgot" to tell you was that "Absolutist" personalities exist in any sort of political, religious and social movement. A PETA animal rights activist could in no way be called "a conservative" but they do have an absolutist position on animal rights. Does that make sense? Thought so, you are coming along fine.

People with "absolutist" personalities are unable to see shades of grey, they can only see black and white. Moral priorities and moral uncertainties can not exist for them. Something is either absolutely right or absolutely wrong.

All religious movements have people who do think entirely in this way, and they make up the religious fundamentalists of every religion. But such people also exist in political organisations of both the Left and the Right. Pol Pot's bunch or communist loonies who mass murdered pretty Cambodian girls, and even anyone who wore a pair of glasses, were quite obviously people who were Absolutist personalities. Agree? You are really on the ball today. The great German physicist Max Plank, who pleaded with Hitler to go easy on the German/Jewish scientists, noted after one meeting that Hitler could only think in absolutes. Stalin was no different. Anyone who disagreed with him got shot.

Social organisations can also contain very dedicated people who hold absolutist views. Greenpeace is full of them, and so is the US National Rifle Association.

Now, have you figured out they are quite deliberately massaging a psychological truth in order to advance their social theories? They know that you are smart enough to grasp what they are saying, but they know that you have not studied psychology and can be suckered.
Posted by LEGO, Wednesday, 17 July 2013 12:23:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lyn Bender— it’s called weather, dear.

The Summers here in Queensland have been no more hotter in the last 20years
than I can remember in the 30years before that. I can remember times when we would get a
week of 40degrees temperatures and the floor was hot to walk on and the kitchen benches
and tables were just as hot to touch. I never saw these times as anything unusual because
they’ve been happening intermittently all my life in coastal Queensland.

We also had an 8year drought up here
when my own children were small and saw very little of the heavy rainfall we
were used to in the Summer months. The rain however returned once again, in the form of
weather lows that dumped massive rains on the city and the water was waist deep in a lot of
streets. I had witnessed this rainy weather and floods plenty of times in the Summers of
my childhood up here. So this was not unusual either.

I experienced the last 2 or 3Summers up here as moderately hot but nowhere near 40degrees, but I
expect I will experience this extreme heat again, but I will not think of it as extreme weather because
It is not new and quite normal in my life experience.
Posted by CHERFUL, Wednesday, 17 July 2013 9:27:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy