The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Are same sex ties the bonds that break the Libs? > Comments

Are same sex ties the bonds that break the Libs? : Comments

By Thomas Ryan, published 22/5/2013

The adventures of British Conservative leader David Cameron with same sex marriage ought to warn Australian Liberals off.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. All
Dear Lexi,

<<We're talking about changes that should be made to the Marriage Act as it currently stands.>>

Repealing this law is a legitimate change to the way it currently stands.

<<Because it does privilege heterosexual relationship while undermining same-sex relationship recognition.>>

This heterosexual privilege embedded in the current Marriage Act, is only a symptom, one symptom that is only the tip of the iceberg, not the root of the problem.

The root of the problem is that the state attempts to define and compartmentalise us and our personal relationships.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 30 May 2013 11:40:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Yuyutsu,

My apologies, I've re-read your previous post and
I had misunderstood you earlier.

You've raised an excellent point.

Thank You.
Posted by Lexi, Thursday, 30 May 2013 11:55:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu - The root of the problem is that the state attempts to define and compartmentalise us and our personal relationships.

No argument from me there, its simply part and parcel of the yearning for absolute power that is inextricably associated with any form of authority. We do (collectively) however ALLOW the state to have power, whereas a far more reasoned approach would be to place very clearly defined limits on the power invested in anyone. One obvious way of doing this is to demand Citizen Initiated Referenda a la Switzerland & some of the US states. Note that Senator Madigan already has a bill to this effect on the table and I understand he has support from a number of individuals both in the Senate & within the House of Representatives. Obviously there will be concerted opposition from the vast majority of elected representatives but its to every voters advantage to demand their federal representatives to support this initiative.
Posted by praxidice, Thursday, 30 May 2013 12:16:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy