The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How to stop the boats > Comments

How to stop the boats : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 6/5/2013

The Government cannot stop the boats and the Opposition's plan won't do it either. But charging a fee will.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. Page 20
  10. 21
  11. 22
  12. All
cohenite, your story from the Murdoch fish wrapper is okay by me. What is the point? Are you insinuating Mr Eid and his mates are representative of all Muslims in Australia, about half a million of them. Eid by my way of thinking is a religious nutter and should be locked up, and he is!
I could easily post a link to a story about Denis McAlinden. By that I could be insinuating McAlinden is typical of all 13 million Christians in Australia, and I would be wrong.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 10 May 2013 11:45:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul, not every catholic is a child molester but there is a collective responsibility of all catholics for the crimes committed under the imprimateur of the catholic church.

Can you point to a similar standard of responsibility for islam which has far greater crimes committed in its name than the catholic church?

I think it is good that the catholic church is now being held to account but why is there such reluctance to do the same with the barbaric behaviour done in islam's name.

As a corrollary can those muslims who are not violent be called 'moderate' simply because they are not physically violent but still support the introduction of sharia?
Posted by cohenite, Friday, 10 May 2013 2:01:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Australian Muslim Community is a large, diverse,
heterogenous group composed of 120 ethnic and/or
linguistic backgrounds, each with their own unique
cultural norms but with one underlying element -
they are all Australians.

To lump all these people into one group and denigrate
them, is surely un-Australian behaviour.
These people are not being given a "fair go."

Melbourne hosted the 2009 Parliament of the World's
Religions - Dec. 3 - Dec. 9th 2009. Over 6,000
attended. Issues such as religious conflict and
globalisation, crafting new responses to religious
extremism and confronting homegrown terrorism and
violence, where all issues under discussion, including
Indigenous and Aboriginal spirituality.
Faiths that took part included - Jewish, Christian, Muslim,
Buddhist, Sikh, Hindu (to name just a few).

The next Parliament is to be held in 2014 in Brussels,
Belgium
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 10 May 2013 3:07:17 PM
cont'd ...

The standard of responsibility by the Catholic Church
is sadly a very low one.
The sexual abuse of children is horrendous and
intolerable and the failure of the Church to deal with
it effectively has done immeasurable damage to victims.
The cover-ups, the protection of abusive clergy and the
refusal to admit egregious mistakes is unjustifiable.

Let us only hope that the Royal Commission (about time)
can force the Church to finally be held to account, although
I doubt if the Royal Commission will even exist if Mr Abbott
is made PM - and Cardinal Pell has his say.
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 10 May 2013 3:14:32 PM
Lexi and Poirot you are good at avoiding question so I have just 1 for you.

Do you think these people are real or economic refugees?
Information from link provided by Lexi.

case 1) "the 60-year-old Hazara farmer He spent 13 years in Iran before embarking on the trip to Australia. He had to leave his wife, two daughters and four sons behind in Iran."

case 2) "Hamad is older and has lived in Iran for most of his life. He travelled to Indonesia via Turkey, where his family is now living."

case 3) “It is difficult for us to afford our lives in Indonesia,” they said. Abdul told us that people develop psychological problems because life is so meaningless.

case 4) "His damning assessment highlighted the lack of engagement the Hazaras have with the country that has given them protection. Australia is the prize"

case 5) "I don’t have a lot of money and I have to send money to my family. There is no work here."
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 10 May 2013 4:31:26 PM
"The Australian Muslim Community is a large, diverse,
heterogenous group composed of 120 ethnic and/or
linguistic backgrounds, each with their own unique
cultural norms but with one underlying element -
they are all Australians.

To lump all these people into one group and denigrate
them, is surely un-Australian behaviour.
These people are not being given a "fair go."

If the issue wasn't so serious that would be risible; instead it is an act of self-delusion and self-indulgence which literally threatens the integrity of Australian society.

This conference is more to the point:

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/if_wilders_is_wrong_explain_this_conference/

Islam is the most aggressive and oppressive 'religion' in the world; as I have said it is astounding that any woman would support it; but apparently Summers had an insight [her only one] into the female psyche when she termed the phase "God's police and damned whores". How else to explain those women who willingly take on the shackles offered by islam.

I would add another category; the emily-lister; who is so disgruntled with her own situation in Western society that she projects that personal quality onto Western society, alligns herself to those ideologies which are against the West and is blinded by the worse prospects offered by those ideologies such as islam because she dimwittedly concludes that because islam is against the West it must be like her.

Dumb and dangerous.
Posted by cohenite, Friday, 10 May 2013 5:27:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. Page 20
  10. 21
  11. 22
  12. All