The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The lottery in which we all participate > Comments

The lottery in which we all participate : Comments

By Geoff Wall, published 27/3/2013

You might have a peaceful death, but then again, maybe not.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
If ever there was an idea whose time has come, it's this one.
VAS has two facts attached to it that get lost in the miasma of uncertainty and fear this topic engenders. The first is "voluntary". The next is the slowly dawning realisation that it is not those advocating for VAS that are trying to tell others how to live, and end, their lives.
I do so look forward to the day when common sense prevails.
Posted by halduell, Wednesday, 27 March 2013 7:43:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dying slowly and in agony is a fear that affects most intelligent adults especially in the latter years of their lives.

To know that you can opt out in a tranquil way would be a blessing. And to know that others constantly impede or frustrate this option angers many, including me!

Each person should have the right to decide what is best for them. Institutions that involve God-botherers should be excluded completely. They are already deranged.

Tranquil opting-out is a sign of a civilized, adult society.

Bring it on!
Posted by David G, Wednesday, 27 March 2013 9:01:52 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A well written, non judgemental article on a difficult subject.

The legalizing of Voluntary Assisted Suicide (VAS) in 4 states in the US has shown there isn't mass killings of the old and disabled, as many pro-life advocates (aka religious supporters) predicted.

It has shown that only a tiny amount (1%) of the population have utilized the help of VAS in the event of an otherwise slow, agonizing death.

It is true that only an unlucky few have no chance of a 'good' death.
It is not only the unrelieved pain of some cancers that are responsible for some awful deaths, but the slow suffocation involved in some awful lung disorders such as COAD or emphysema is another horrendous way to die.

Without fail, regardless of any religious beliefs, or previous thoughts on euthanasia, those few people I have cared for that endure an awful death, beg all those around them to be put out of their misery.
I very often wish that I could legally help them to do so...
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 27 March 2013 9:41:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alexander Downer agreed with Pope Francis that Euthanasia is not a choice of his, this is not surprising coming from a man who has excelled himself indirectly through his Government of Euthanising hundreds of civilians in Iraq and elsewhere, but of course that is different to him, it is not different.
Euthanasia as mentioned above is not to my liking at all, but VOLUNTARY EUTHANASIA is, it really irritates me when politicians like Downer have blinkers on their eyes, it is OK on the one hand but definately not when a person is in severe pain and loss of dignity and wants to die,this to me is compassion for that person.
How do we change the attitude of politicians? those who do not like VE do not have to participate at all, it is a choice that the rest of us should have.
Having written a letter to the "Advertiser" which was not printed because I presume Downers name was mentioned, and he writes articles for that paper, so naturally they wouldn't print it, censorship is alive and well where Newspapers are concerned.
Posted by Ojnab, Wednesday, 27 March 2013 11:35:28 AM
Euthanising hundreds of civilians in Iraq and elsewhere,
Ojnab,
If you were to look into the situation in those countries you'd most likely find that those many innocent people weren't euthanised by outside forces at all. They were put up by their own cowards as cannon fodder to instigate trouble for some ideal they don't even have any idea about.
Euthanasia, when it becomes legal will of course be abused in the most appalling manner for people to get their hands on other peoples' money/property. Euthanasia is supposed to be a dignity thing for those who can no longer expect any quality of life, instead it'll be nothing more than a most undignified way of getting rid of old people who are supposedly in the way.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 27 March 2013 9:49:24 PM
If there is one issue for which religion is shunned, which carries people away from God and makes atheists celebrate, this is. The irony is that this issue has nothing truly to do with religion: religion is always about one's own actions and choices, not about telling others what to do or not.

The AMA is a Mafia, sharing power with the government and not caring for anyone, only for the power and control of their own guild.

Who ever counted the number of people in their 70's who, in fear of this lottery, killed themselves while still having the capacity to stage a road accident? Some of those could have possibly lived happily into their 90's and 100's!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 28 March 2013 1:08:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy