The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The election - any date won't do > Comments

The election - any date won't do : Comments

By Julie Bishop, published 14/2/2013

Julia's September 14 date with destiny clashes with dates that are important to Australia's international interests.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Sounds good to me. We all get to watch the footie instead of the tedious election coverage. Julia goes abroad which defuses some of the orchestrated madness and the Jewish community does a postal vote.
Posted by estelles, Thursday, 14 February 2013 9:07:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I hope one day i can view OLO and read something from Julie more in line with Aust's foreign policy issues, and what the Coalition believes are the real issues in terms of aiding or complicating Aust's interests.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Thursday, 14 February 2013 10:22:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It does not take long to vote,say half an hour of your time.If minority groups have an objection they can lodge a postal vote.

Storm in a teacup Julie.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 14 February 2013 11:05:35 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It makes a huge difference to me what date the election is held on.

I am in no way religious, but this is the one of two days in the Jewish calendar I and most Jewish people observe.

More importantly I am involved politically and after having worked through an entire campaign I wont be able to be there for Polling Day and the Count. I know I am not alone here.

There are also candidates who will be disadvantaged by not being able to service their electorate
Posted by SF, Thursday, 14 February 2013 11:48:13 AM
Is it possible that the September 14 date is a red herring and she is lulling everyone into focusing on that date, then going early?
Posted by Jan of FNQ, Thursday, 14 February 2013 3:42:48 PM
So glad we have separation of Church from State.

Won't make one iota of difference to me and given Julia's and Julie's demonstrated lack of any understanding on any real issue's facing this nation, I could care less.

My vote won't be going to either major parties, nor the Green party.

As to the Jewish voters, as others have clearly stated, use the postal vote option.

Nuff said
Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Thursday, 14 February 2013 3:48:34 PM
And what is the much larger muslim community said we could not have an election on Eid?

Bishop would be demanding they shut up and obey Australian law.

The double faced moronic behaviour of this country drives me crazy if Bishop thinks a tiny number of people from an invented religion should have a say in anything at all.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Thursday, 14 February 2013 3:58:11 PM
Julie. Whatever date the PM selected would conflict with a never ending football code event. To be a good Jew is to participate in all respects with whatever lawfull civil society obligations exist at that time and place. A postal vote option comes readily to mind.
International obligations are somewhat difficult to reconcile.

I think the point you make is that this particular PM will choose a date dictated purely on the political opportunity it may afford, irrespective of all or any other consideration.

It's all about Julia didn't you know?
Posted by Prompete, Thursday, 14 February 2013 5:29:22 PM
Just to correct some sloppy details:

<<Jewish people observing the day are required to refrain from work or from attending a Synagogue and will fast for up to 25 hours including refraining from consuming beverages.>>

Jews are of course required to ATTEND synagogue the whole day (not refrain from attending).

Jews are required fast for 25+ hours, not "up to" 25 hours.

Jews are required to not consume even water, not just "beverages".

Most relevant for the issue of elections, on the day of atonement, among other things, Jews are not allowed to travel (by car, train, etc.); carry any item around other than their clothing and children (accept in designated zones, which are too complex to describe here), including identifying documents or a pen; use money; use electricity or anything electrical; write; or touch (even accidentally) a member of the other sex (such as when standing in the queue).

Most important, on the day of atonement, Jews are not permitted to wash, even after touching a filthy ballot and being contaminated with politics.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 14 February 2013 7:31:53 PM
Marilyn Shepherd once again your vile antisemitism is showing.
Your comments are an insult and untrue to boot.

**And what is the much larger muslim community said we could not have an election on Eid?**

It's of no consequence to Islam, they do not have the some prohibitions placed on them for High Holidays and the sabbath as Jewish people do.
Posted by SF, Thursday, 14 February 2013 7:58:21 PM
SF,so criticism of Zionists or Jews is anti-semetic? I critise my own once Christian faith,the Muslim Faith and the Jewish faith.

There is a fundamental observation that should be made.All religions are about control of human populations by a few elites and god is always replaced by money to achieve their aims.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 14 February 2013 9:55:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes and no Arjay, it's not a case of black and white and difficult to put into words. Unfortunately I have stronger comments noted from this person.
Posted by SF, Thursday, 14 February 2013 9:59:39 PM
Deqar Arjay,

<<All religions are about control of human populations by a few elites and god is always replaced by money to achieve their aims>>

Not every group which calls itself a religion, is in a fact a religion and vice-versa, not every person who claims to be irreligious is in fact irreligious. I don't think that you, for example, are!

In most cases there is little in common between religion and organised religion.

By definition, anyone who replaces God with control and/or money, is no longer religious - no matter what they call themselves.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 14 February 2013 10:06:26 PM
Yuyutsu

What on earth are you talking about?
Posted by SF, Thursday, 14 February 2013 10:23:20 PM
Dear SF,

<<What on earth are you talking about?>>

I was referring to a blanket statement by Arjay as if ALL religions are about control and money.

I know this has nothing to do with the coming elections or their date, but since I already receive alerts on this topic and since that statement is an affront to all religious people, I could not let it pass without comment.

(Arjay, sorry for the extra 'q' that slipped in, I meant to write "Dear Arjay")
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 14 February 2013 11:32:42 PM
I would think that given the daily, ever more vile, evil portrayed by the majority of political/religious/ethical/moral and institutional Jewish international efforts from within the Zionistic influence from those purporting to represent the nation of Israeli, it is obvious the fundamental Jewish movement now portrays and has clearly demonstrated they are incapable of having any meaningful input into any serious international discussion, international or national politics, ethical discussion or truthful compassion for others, other than themselves.

It is apparent to me that perhaps those 90,000 odd votes, if that is the correct figure (eligible voters), being missing at the polls or being unable to support any political institution or candidate in the upcoming Australia election is blessed by the date selected by the current PM.

Do Australian’s really need these blinkered, biased and unfriendly fruit-cakes voting in an election that should be centred on Australian issues for Australian people, I think not.

If your religion precludes you from voting on the day or being involved in politics on the day of voting, I am so much more secure in my conviction that religion really does defy rational thought, moral and ethical conviction and the need to stay in touch with real events that affect real people in a real world.

We are all challenged by genuine issues that have absolutely nothing to do with a dreamt up version of some mythical religion based on nothing but misinformation, lies and duplicity from those in authority, particularly from those within a misinformed religious ‘sect’ based on an irrelevant and uncompromising Jewish religious doctrine whereby certain people place themselves above and beyond so many others.

What is their real motive?

Australian politics needs the religious based Jewish vote (and therefore religious bigotry and bias) as much as a swimmer needs blood in the water whilst swimming at the beach.
Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Thursday, 14 February 2013 11:40:06 PM
Dear Geoff,

Do Australian’s really need these blinkered, biased and unfriendly fruit-cakes voting in an election that should be centred on Australian issues for Australian people, I think not.

If your sports-star worship precludes you from voting on the day or being involved in politics on the day of voting, I am so much more secure in my conviction that competitive sport really does defy rational thought, moral and ethical conviction and the need to stay in touch with real events that affect real people in a real world.

We are all challenged by genuine issues that have absolutely nothing to do with a dreamt up version of some tribal adherence to local hooligan groups based on nothing but idiocy and mass hypnosis, particularly from those within a misinformed quasi-religious ‘sect’ based on an irrelevant and uncompromising doctrine whereby certain people place their team above and beyond so many others.

What is their real motive?

Australian politics needs the brainless AFL/NFL vote (and therefore beastly bias) as much as a swimmer needs blood in the water whilst swimming at the beach.

Unfortunately nothing but illiteracy stops them from pre-polling and using postal votes well before the match-day.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 15 February 2013 11:20:04 AM
Thank you Yuyutsu BRILLIANT !! Well said.

Geoff of Perth has a reputation which precedes him. He's well known around the blogosphere.

Everyone is entitled to believe in what they want, be it on a political or religious level. There is no need whatsoever to go on the attack.

That attack/comment of Geoff's Yuyutsu is what we were referring to earlier.

If he had bothered to read what I wrote on page 1, maybe he would have held back on his biased ill-informed views of others......

* It makes a huge difference to me what date the election is held on.

I am in no way religious, but this is the one of two days in the Jewish calendar I and most Jewish people observe.

More importantly I am involved politically and after having worked through an entire campaign I wont be able to be there for Polling Day and the Count. I know I am not alone here.

There are also candidates who will be disadvantaged by not being able to service their electorate*
Posted by SF, Friday, 15 February 2013 12:06:01 PM
SF, just a minor point;

The Muslims I work with fast from sunrise to sunset for the entire month of Ramadan. No food, no water; and they just keep on working out in the sun. This strikes me as pretty onerous...

Maybe this is a provincial expression of the observance.
Posted by hugoagogo, Friday, 15 February 2013 3:39:29 PM
I think Julie has too much time on her hands - her snide reference to Gillards apparent ddisinterest in foreign affairs was a bit weak - her record demonstrates that earlt reference was little more than a throw away line - and as for the election date - for years it has been treated as a prime ministers plaything - and journalists pursued and speculated about the date with all the enthusiasm of a drooling Homer Simpson chasing shiny objects - any date will do and fixed date will do even better
Posted by INKEEMAGEE2, Friday, 15 February 2013 8:06:13 PM
Hey SF

Your:

"Geoff of Perth has a reputation which precedes him. He's well known around the blogosphere."

Interesting since this is the only site that I comment on, I don't even have my own blog, another lie you have put forward.

If your religion stops you voting, give the PM's office a ring and complain, I am sure they will be able to assist.

Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Saturday, 16 February 2013 4:16:06 PM
Heaven forbid 'Geoff of Perth' don't tell me there are two of you. That's more than one could possibly bear.

Listen mate, don't judge people by own own standards

In other words because you lie, it doesn't mean everyone else does.

The Day of Atonement is the holiest day on the Jewish calendar and is the day most Jewish people adhere to. Amongst other things it's the day we remember the dead, and for you to be belittle this in such a fashion is a complete disgrace to this country. You should be ashamed of yourself. You show yourself up for what you are. Your comment on Thursday, 14 February 2013 11:40:06 PM shows you as a racist and a bigot.

It's not the case of not counting X number of votes, it's a case of not being able to exercise one's democratic right to vote, which you obviously couldn't give a damn about.

I now post for the third time, which is supposedly lucky. You very clearly are unable to read. I suggest you get someone to do it for you.

** It makes a huge difference to me what date the election is held on.

More importantly I am involved politically and after having worked through an entire campaign I won't be able to be there for Polling Day and the Count. I know I am not alone here.

There are also candidates who will be disadvantaged by not being able to service their electorate**
Posted by SF, Saturday, 16 February 2013 4:45:23 PM
SF, "I now post for the third time, which is supposedly lucky. You very clearly are unable to read. I suggest you get someone to do it for you. It makes a huge difference to me what date the election is held on. I am in no way religious, but this is the one of two days in the Jewish calendar I and most Jewish people observe.

More importantly I am involved politically and after having worked through an entire campaign I won't be able to be there for Polling Day and the Count. I know I am not alone here.

There are also candidates who will be disadvantaged by not being able to service their electorate."

Now we (as in the Royal) are all confused. If you are Jewish and not religious in any way, why suffer the Jewish religious mantra and their silly 'holidays'.

Obviously your parents shoved the old 'indoctrination pill' down your throat and raised you in a 'blinkered' fashion.

If you are truly not religious why for 'God's sake' are you unable to work or vote on the 14th of September?

This is a religious date, nothing more, nothing less.

Your argument is rust.

Try again.

G
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Saturday, 16 February 2013 9:20:33 PM
Oh by the way SF, perhaps you can solve 'your' riddle on why you cannot attend the election, noting that you are not religious noting this:

'Yom Kippur, also known as the Day of Atonement, is the "holiest" day of the year for the Jewish people. Its central themes are atonement and repentance. Jewish people traditionally observe this "holy" day with a 25-hour period of fasting and "intensive prayer", often spending most of the day in "synagogue services". Yom Kippur completes the annual period known in Judaism as the "High Holy Days" or Yamim Nora'im ("Days of Awe").

If you are, as you espouse 'not religious' you seem to have a very warped justification for not working and voting on the 14th of September this year.

Over to you again or are you another 'David Singer in disguise'?

Oh how the world turns...
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Saturday, 16 February 2013 10:32:30 PM
SF & Yuyutsu,

the silence and failure to address my response, gives me the unqualified justification in assuming you have given up the mantra.

Your inability to respond speaks tomes about your real conviction.

Still waiting and hoping!

Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Monday, 18 February 2013 10:57:37 PM
Dear Geoff,

First you addressed a personal question to SF:

<<Oh by the way SF, perhaps you can solve 'your' riddle on why you cannot attend the election, noting that you are not religious>>

Then you complain that I haven't responded...

How am I supposed to answer for SF when s/he is Jewish, but claiming to be non-religious while I am religious but non-Jewish?

My unauthorised guess is that SF is one of many Jews who consider themselves "traditional" or "cultural" Jews, following certain family traditions for the simple reason that these were always kept in the family for many generations, thus linking her/him with her/his ancesstors (the fact that some of his/her ancesstors happened to consider it a religious duty is besides the point). This hypothesis is supported by the fact that of all the many customs of Yom Kippur, s/he chose to mention it as the day of remembering the dead.

Carving a day out of the stream of ordinary time, dedicated to prayer, repentance and austerity (including fasting), is usually a religious act, whether or not the person who does so believes and acknowledges that it is so.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 19 February 2013 12:23:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy