The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The election - any date won't do > Comments

The election - any date won't do : Comments

By Julie Bishop, published 14/2/2013

Julia's September 14 date with destiny clashes with dates that are important to Australia's international interests.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
SF, just a minor point;

The Muslims I work with fast from sunrise to sunset for the entire month of Ramadan. No food, no water; and they just keep on working out in the sun. This strikes me as pretty onerous...

Maybe this is a provincial expression of the observance.
Posted by hugoagogo, Friday, 15 February 2013 3:39:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think Julie has too much time on her hands - her snide reference to Gillards apparent ddisinterest in foreign affairs was a bit weak - her record demonstrates that earlt reference was little more than a throw away line - and as for the election date - for years it has been treated as a prime ministers plaything - and journalists pursued and speculated about the date with all the enthusiasm of a drooling Homer Simpson chasing shiny objects - any date will do and fixed date will do even better
Posted by INKEEMAGEE2, Friday, 15 February 2013 8:06:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey SF

Your:

"Geoff of Perth has a reputation which precedes him. He's well known around the blogosphere."

Interesting since this is the only site that I comment on, I don't even have my own blog, another lie you have put forward.

If your religion stops you voting, give the PM's office a ring and complain, I am sure they will be able to assist.

Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Saturday, 16 February 2013 4:16:06 PM
Heaven forbid 'Geoff of Perth' don't tell me there are two of you. That's more than one could possibly bear.

Listen mate, don't judge people by own own standards

In other words because you lie, it doesn't mean everyone else does.

The Day of Atonement is the holiest day on the Jewish calendar and is the day most Jewish people adhere to. Amongst other things it's the day we remember the dead, and for you to be belittle this in such a fashion is a complete disgrace to this country. You should be ashamed of yourself. You show yourself up for what you are. Your comment on Thursday, 14 February 2013 11:40:06 PM shows you as a racist and a bigot.

It's not the case of not counting X number of votes, it's a case of not being able to exercise one's democratic right to vote, which you obviously couldn't give a damn about.

I now post for the third time, which is supposedly lucky. You very clearly are unable to read. I suggest you get someone to do it for you.

** It makes a huge difference to me what date the election is held on.

I am in no way religious, but this is the one of two days in the Jewish calendar I and most Jewish people observe.

More importantly I am involved politically and after having worked through an entire campaign I won't be able to be there for Polling Day and the Count. I know I am not alone here.

There are also candidates who will be disadvantaged by not being able to service their electorate**
Posted by SF, Saturday, 16 February 2013 4:45:23 PM
SF, "I now post for the third time, which is supposedly lucky. You very clearly are unable to read. I suggest you get someone to do it for you. It makes a huge difference to me what date the election is held on. I am in no way religious, but this is the one of two days in the Jewish calendar I and most Jewish people observe.

More importantly I am involved politically and after having worked through an entire campaign I won't be able to be there for Polling Day and the Count. I know I am not alone here.

There are also candidates who will be disadvantaged by not being able to service their electorate."

Now we (as in the Royal) are all confused. If you are Jewish and not religious in any way, why suffer the Jewish religious mantra and their silly 'holidays'.

Obviously your parents shoved the old 'indoctrination pill' down your throat and raised you in a 'blinkered' fashion.

If you are truly not religious why for 'God's sake' are you unable to work or vote on the 14th of September?

This is a religious date, nothing more, nothing less.

Your argument is rust.

Try again.

G
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Saturday, 16 February 2013 9:20:33 PM
Oh by the way SF, perhaps you can solve 'your' riddle on why you cannot attend the election, noting that you are not religious noting this:

'Yom Kippur, also known as the Day of Atonement, is the "holiest" day of the year for the Jewish people. Its central themes are atonement and repentance. Jewish people traditionally observe this "holy" day with a 25-hour period of fasting and "intensive prayer", often spending most of the day in "synagogue services". Yom Kippur completes the annual period known in Judaism as the "High Holy Days" or Yamim Nora'im ("Days of Awe").

If you are, as you espouse 'not religious' you seem to have a very warped justification for not working and voting on the 14th of September this year.

Over to you again or are you another 'David Singer in disguise'?

Oh how the world turns...
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Saturday, 16 February 2013 10:32:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy