The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A tide of fat > Comments

A tide of fat : Comments

By Imogen Nolan, published 1/2/2013

Please excuse the food related idiom – but this is a recipe for failure – we're destined to be doughy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The eating in public may not work as the welfare of street cafes, etc. would be compromised -- also that of the attendant council incomes... plus people who feel superior looking at latte sippers would be deprived of their Neanderthal sport, Pericles.

It was the threat to non-smokers which enabled much of the pariah legislation.

Is there an equivalent for passive-fatting?
Posted by WmTrevor, Friday, 1 February 2013 6:24:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sadly not, WmTrevor.

>>Is there an equivalent for passive-fatting?<<

The closest is being so severely squished into the side of the cabin by the flabby, sweaty overflow from the middle seat, that you die of a combination of asphyxiation and collapsed lungs.

Or maybe simply lose the will to live.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 1 February 2013 6:34:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well Pericles it depends how one handles one's predicament. If a person of largish disposition expands his or her externalities across 3 seats - perhaps neighbours should collectively hold their breathes if only to the end of the flight, or their own demise.

As the author might imply our taxes and private medical insurance are probably cross-subsidizing those with unhealthy self-inflicted food habits, not to mention grog.

Might a Daddy Abbott Triathlon Solution become de rigueur post September?

Planta
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 1 February 2013 7:27:45 PM
Lack of manual labour for those who lack the intellect to be in cushy office jobs, mindless parents, authorities & policies which prevent good parents to obtain good food for their children etc etc are contributing factors.
There's simply way too little opportunity to get good food & way too much junk food.
Make good food affordable & tax junk food. If they can do it with cigarettes & alcohol then it can be done with junk food. What's stopping them ? Reduced profits perhaps ? Naw, couldn't be or could it ?
Posted by individual, Friday, 1 February 2013 10:46:21 PM
Planta I acknowledge your Doctor's dilemma, however, if you can purchase reasonably lean beef, not the crap that is sold in the two main mega-supermarket outlets we currently have, grass fed where possible and not the market driven corn meal fed stuff we export and sell to the minions in our capital cities you should be fine.

A good butcher is the key to your good health, including lamb, chicken (definately not the industrial bred feather-less, over infused anti-biotic/hormone bred bird) you find in C and W, but one that is at the least bred free range or in a controlled environment that allows it to grow and develop as naturally as possible.

Avoid the good old snag (sorry to say) unless it is from a reputable source and the meats are free of additives and preservatives.

Don' kill yourself over cholesterol (as mandated by your industrial doctor) triglycerides are the keys to good health, they are a blood lipid that help enables the two directional transference of adipose fat and blood glucose from the liver. There are many triglycerides depending on the oil source. Stick with natural products and cholesterol will become a negative risk.

As to the fatties on planes (no snakes here please) I once spent an interesting 40 minutes sitting next to the world's tallest salesman, that guy who always threw in a set of free steak knives with every order. Given my height 6' 4in and his, I think we somehow overbalanced the plane with tall people on the starboard side while the fatties made up for the balances landing on the port side....I still remember thinking he should have been taller, perhaps he has now joined the majority and just become fatter!
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Friday, 1 February 2013 11:21:00 PM
Pete it's now 10.40pm here in the West and I would assume that you are now well tucked up in bed, sleeping well without the aid of some industrial medicine or some hack pill working counter to your normal body clock.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that one of the most important things to note with your own GP is his or her health. Do they look ok, appear to be free of the weight problems of many of our peers, not take prescription medicine and look as though they get some good exercise. General body shape, despite genetics is always a good sign, also the clarity of their eyes and general demeanour. i.e. do they appear happy, energetic and full of beans?

If not, ditch them and their advice, they are most likely on the pharmacutical treadmill and good proportion of their income is probably derived from slight-of-hand referal to medications and ailment cures that require you to fork out your hard earned for some industrial medicine that may cure certain traits of any ailment, but additionally and most importantly, have far-reaching and non-beneficial side-effects.

My Doctor, whom I have not seen in a medical sense in many years, is a sprightly old woman around 70+ years in age, has no dreams of retirement and is known for her ability to still walk many Km's a day and eats similarly to me.....this in my book shows that you need to walk the walk before you can talk the walk.

Most doctor's today are far too eager to prescribe a pharma based solution, when in fact an easy and no cost life-style change could just as quickly resolve the medical issue.

Food (healthy where possible) pardon the pun, for thought!

Cheers

Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Saturday, 2 February 2013 12:49:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy