The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A tide of fat > Comments

A tide of fat : Comments

By Imogen Nolan, published 1/2/2013

Please excuse the food related idiom – but this is a recipe for failure – we're destined to be doughy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
A mighty interesting article, especially:

"Another part of the problem is the way we view the problem – we think of weight as an individually based phenomenon – my weight problem. However, as the negative externalities generated by obesity continue to mount, your weight problem is in fact increasingly my problem too."

I've lost 12kg in 6 months (106 down to 94kg). 12kg to go to ideal weight.

Done this by cutting down regular alcohol. Alcohol being a drug that makes one hungrier as well. Alcohol too often persuades people to eat sweet or salty, fatty foods eg. crisps, chips, pizzas.

So an issue is what food groups are easist or most effective to cut out?

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 1 February 2013 9:39:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm sorry that I sound superior, but to be truthful I do feel superior. As a 77 year old I maintain a healthy weight by only eating that which is necessary to maintain my weight. I do not have to exercise to shed extra weight because I do not consume those extra calories in the first place. The incentive I have to do this is that I know that I will a longer and healthier life by moderating my food intake. I enjoy good food, but if I occasionally overindulge then I reduce my intake during the next few days. I don't eat morning and afternoon tea, neither do I snack after the evening meal. All this requires a bit of discipline, something which seems to be lacking in today's affluent society.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Friday, 1 February 2013 10:33:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Red wine is my downfall, i haven't touched since xmas, and loseing a regular 500 to 600 / week.
Beer doesn't seem to put weight on me. Now heading for 73 kg. which is right for my height. Started at 78 kg's.
Posted by 579, Friday, 1 February 2013 2:32:48 PM
My single best bit of advice is cut out the carbs.

Don't eat bread, except old grain types (spelt) and in very small portions less than twice per week.

Do not eat pasta or rice more than once per week and limit the intake (meal size).

Do not eat processed food (this I define as anything that has more than four ingredients, and if it has a number on the ingredient label don't touch at all).

Eat as much red meat, fruits, vegetables and nuts as you like.

In terms of dairy, I do not drink milk/most milk products and only have small amounts of cheese very occasionally. I do however eat full fat butter, its natural and our bodies need the natural fats, not the chemistry set you get with margarine and all the other crap you find on a supermarket dairy shelf. Natural yoghurt is also great, same with natural cream.

Do a little vigorous exercise every day and try not to sit for too long.

Read if you have to, use a computer in a limited manner and stay away from the TV as long as you can.

If you follow most of these basic steps you will not only lose a huge amount of weight, you will feel great, your energy levels will remain high and you will have no problem with guilt in relation to future generations.

Unfortunately you have to still pay the increasing tax's our governments levy to deal with our ever-growing health (oxymoron) care system to deal with the lazy and undisciplined (it's that simple) people we all have to support.
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Friday, 1 February 2013 5:01:09 PM
But Geoff o P

"Eat as much red meat...as you like"

Red Meat! Eeeek!

My GP insists red meat in quantity is B A D on account of s--tloads (well lots :) of cholesterol. What is to be done?

Planta
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 1 February 2013 5:27:56 PM
This is a fascinatingly difficult issue.

There is no general solution, that we can apply, because the only people who can address the problem are the fat people themselves.

And they are not inclined to do it, for exactly the same reasons they became fat in the first place.

Governments can't solve the problem either by taxing their calorie intake, without extending the nanny state into areas that deny personal freedom.

The only effective way to return to normality - a state that I can accurately define as that in which everyone can fit comfortably into their economy class seats, instead of spilling over into my space - is to turn all fatties into social pariahs.

We seem to be making headway in this with smoking, which is also "preventable". Let's give it a shot with the fatties too.

First up, let's make them take their morning doughnuts out of the office and onto the street. Then we should make all public areas "no eating" zones, so that they are forced to take their blobby fat bodies into their own home in order to indulge their filthy eating habits. And whenever we see anyone eating in public, we screw up our faces in simulated pain, and tell them they are disgusting, and are setting a terrible example to the kiddies.

Could work.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 1 February 2013 6:02:38 PM
The eating in public may not work as the welfare of street cafes, etc. would be compromised -- also that of the attendant council incomes... plus people who feel superior looking at latte sippers would be deprived of their Neanderthal sport, Pericles.

It was the threat to non-smokers which enabled much of the pariah legislation.

Is there an equivalent for passive-fatting?
Posted by WmTrevor, Friday, 1 February 2013 6:24:50 PM
Sadly not, WmTrevor.

>>Is there an equivalent for passive-fatting?<<

The closest is being so severely squished into the side of the cabin by the flabby, sweaty overflow from the middle seat, that you die of a combination of asphyxiation and collapsed lungs.

Or maybe simply lose the will to live.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 1 February 2013 6:34:43 PM
Well Pericles it depends how one handles one's predicament. If a person of largish disposition expands his or her externalities across 3 seats - perhaps neighbours should collectively hold their breathes if only to the end of the flight, or their own demise.

As the author might imply our taxes and private medical insurance are probably cross-subsidizing those with unhealthy self-inflicted food habits, not to mention grog.

Might a Daddy Abbott Triathlon Solution become de rigueur post September?

Planta
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 1 February 2013 7:27:45 PM
Lack of manual labour for those who lack the intellect to be in cushy office jobs, mindless parents, authorities & policies which prevent good parents to obtain good food for their children etc etc are contributing factors.
There's simply way too little opportunity to get good food & way too much junk food.
Make good food affordable & tax junk food. If they can do it with cigarettes & alcohol then it can be done with junk food. What's stopping them ? Reduced profits perhaps ? Naw, couldn't be or could it ?
Posted by individual, Friday, 1 February 2013 10:46:21 PM
Planta I acknowledge your Doctor's dilemma, however, if you can purchase reasonably lean beef, not the crap that is sold in the two main mega-supermarket outlets we currently have, grass fed where possible and not the market driven corn meal fed stuff we export and sell to the minions in our capital cities you should be fine.

A good butcher is the key to your good health, including lamb, chicken (definately not the industrial bred feather-less, over infused anti-biotic/hormone bred bird) you find in C and W, but one that is at the least bred free range or in a controlled environment that allows it to grow and develop as naturally as possible.

Avoid the good old snag (sorry to say) unless it is from a reputable source and the meats are free of additives and preservatives.

Don' kill yourself over cholesterol (as mandated by your industrial doctor) triglycerides are the keys to good health, they are a blood lipid that help enables the two directional transference of adipose fat and blood glucose from the liver. There are many triglycerides depending on the oil source. Stick with natural products and cholesterol will become a negative risk.

As to the fatties on planes (no snakes here please) I once spent an interesting 40 minutes sitting next to the world's tallest salesman, that guy who always threw in a set of free steak knives with every order. Given my height 6' 4in and his, I think we somehow overbalanced the plane with tall people on the starboard side while the fatties made up for the balances landing on the port side....I still remember thinking he should have been taller, perhaps he has now joined the majority and just become fatter!
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Friday, 1 February 2013 11:21:00 PM
Pete it's now 10.40pm here in the West and I would assume that you are now well tucked up in bed, sleeping well without the aid of some industrial medicine or some hack pill working counter to your normal body clock.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that one of the most important things to note with your own GP is his or her health. Do they look ok, appear to be free of the weight problems of many of our peers, not take prescription medicine and look as though they get some good exercise. General body shape, despite genetics is always a good sign, also the clarity of their eyes and general demeanour. i.e. do they appear happy, energetic and full of beans?

If not, ditch them and their advice, they are most likely on the pharmacutical treadmill and good proportion of their income is probably derived from slight-of-hand referal to medications and ailment cures that require you to fork out your hard earned for some industrial medicine that may cure certain traits of any ailment, but additionally and most importantly, have far-reaching and non-beneficial side-effects.

My Doctor, whom I have not seen in a medical sense in many years, is a sprightly old woman around 70+ years in age, has no dreams of retirement and is known for her ability to still walk many Km's a day and eats similarly to me.....this in my book shows that you need to walk the walk before you can talk the walk.

Most doctor's today are far too eager to prescribe a pharma based solution, when in fact an easy and no cost life-style change could just as quickly resolve the medical issue.

Food (healthy where possible) pardon the pun, for thought!

Cheers

Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Saturday, 2 February 2013 12:49:47 AM
Hi Geoff

Thanks for your in-depth reply so late in Perth. As meeting of minds would have it I do eat lean beef about twice a week. Though I’m not choosy about what the animal ate and what lifestyle it enjoyed or didn’t. I certainly look at fat levels per 100g especially saturated.

Yes snags suck and can be seen as coffin nails especially when blokes charcoal them.

I prefer fish to chicken and admit a preference for canned (pink) salmon and mackerel – vastly cheaper than the inflated prices of “fresh” fish from fish shops. Much “fresh” fish is flown in from NZ – a rather greenhouse gas intensive transport phase. Or at least 3 days old even in small towns right on the East Coast.

I don’t put much store on pure, organic, free range, natural or other descriptions. For example having worked on a chicken farm I’m aware truly free range chooks can live a life of fear about the many blackbirds and magpies flying over the farm – as they see such flying birds as birds of prey about to snatch and eat them.

A really tall bloke who becomes largish threatens delicate wooden and plastic chairs everywhere. Cafes beware and watchout McDonalds.

Actually I told a porky – what my GP actually said was “don’t lose weight too quickly” as that in itself can be a health hazard. At the risk of being accused of being a white male (and therefore automatically wrong and bad) - much advice on diets appear to come from dieticians whose ranks appear to be over-represented by females, who are youngish, believers in “natural”, too skinny, New Wave Buddhist, vegetarian, looking a little palid and most probably in need of a feed.

Inevitably they project their dietary preferences (eg. an “ideal” diet for a young women) on others whatever the differing dietary needs of age, gender and health complexities. It is for dieticians to alter this image.

Caution – the foregoing was written by a WASP male, therefore suspect and should be dismissed by those who aren’t… :)

Regards
Planta
Posted by plantagenet, Saturday, 2 February 2013 3:39:31 PM
Geoff of Perth, yes a small helpings, healthy diet can help us live longer and well.
However, I see you haven't been to see your GP ' for years'?

The healthiest people are those who consume a healthy diet AND see their GP at least once a year for a checkup.

One doesn't have to have a poor diet to develop some often genetic ailments such as diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, or prostate problems.

Better to be proactive with your health if you want to live long and strong :)
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 2 February 2013 6:10:48 PM
A major cause to obesity is the epidemic of car use . There is no need for visits to fitness centres [ usually by car ] to be made tax deductible , if people walk wherever they can .

Stop car commercials which show attractive drivers experiencing orgasm while driving .

Of course , proper and moderate food intake is important , but exercise is too .
Posted by jaylex, Sunday, 3 February 2013 7:23:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-jy3OtZAss

But remember it will not work unless you actually eat less.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Sunday, 3 February 2013 10:22:55 AM
"Obesity, an increasingly communal problem requires a communal response, but it is unclear what is or will be the most effective measure."

Simple, mandating and retro-fitting much narrower doors everywhere starting with supermarkets, all food outlets – and to also solve the problems on aircraft – public transport.
Posted by WmTrevor, Sunday, 3 February 2013 11:01:19 AM
Sueonline, thanks for the post.

I don't see my GP or any other GP as the Dr's we have today are basically tied to the pharmacutical industry, they are paid bonus money and get other incentives to get patients on prescription medicine.

I believe that if you are healthy, i.e. you exercise, remain active, eat a balanced diet, and yes portion size is very important, you will learn to know your own body and you will also know if something is wrong.

If somethink is wrong you can then visit your GP, but be aware of what they may wish to prescribe you!

For those who have stopped the good old alcohol, a couple of weeks drinking concentrated apple juice is an excellent way to detox the liver and if you have ever had gout or do suffer from it, concentrated cherry juice is a great remedy.

For those of you who live in the city, stop driving your car the short distance to the shop, yes it might be quick and convenient, but surely you have time to walk, enjoy the benefit this short burst of exercise will deliver, as posted earlier, cars are a very lazy way of getting around, also consider a bike.

Cheers in health
Geoff
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Sunday, 3 February 2013 1:59:13 PM
Might a Daddy Abbott Triathlon Solution become de rigueur post September?
plantagenet,
I suppose despite all this I still won't get any support for a national service eh ?
Exercise ? don't be silly, much easier to blame the junk food outlets.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 3 February 2013 4:25:05 PM
I won't yet get started on Daddy Abbott. Father Abbott just scares me is all.

Exercise certainly has its place in healthy weight loss but a full-time politician as fit as an extreme athlete just seems a little extreme.
Posted by plantagenet, Sunday, 3 February 2013 4:40:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy