The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Rediscovering prudence > Comments

Rediscovering prudence : Comments

By Clara Geoghegan, published 10/12/2012

The suicide of the London nurse, Jacintha Saldahna, who took the prank call from Aussie radio presenters, Mel Greig and Michael Christian has shocked the world.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Why on earth would anyone want to die for a member of the Royal family is beyond my thinking, who knows what mental problem she may have had before this event. I personally feel like committing suicide every time I open the Murdock papers and have to pass quickly past the latest news on the very uninteresting wealthy Royals, any one would think no one else has ever had a baby,lets have some reporting on the people having babies in poor countries and the problems they have to put up with,this would be far more interesting . My sympathy to the radio station and to the two members concerned, it was only a prank and at good one at that, get rid of the Royals then this sort of thing would not happen.
Posted by Ojnab, Monday, 10 December 2012 5:04:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The indifference that shock jocks and in this instance socially illiterate DJ's, when they play selfish egotistic pranks with their listeners and the public, must be made aware of the possible consequences of their action, that can harm innocent people.
A person has taken their life. and irrespective of any underlying issues that person may have had, this prank ended her life.
Posted by Kipp, Monday, 10 December 2012 5:10:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ojanb,
The royals had nothing to do with this. The prank call could have been about any high profile person.

The nurse that died was humilated and ashaned that she failed in her professional duty. The incident was certainly talked about by the hospital staff, her peers. Maybe her English was insufficient to detect false accents and she accepted the call as genuine. She cannot be blamed for that, but critisism by her peers, either real or imagined, and by the world media would have been very hurtfull.

The blame falls squarely on the radio jocks, and station management, for broadcasting the episode. Bringing world wide attention to it and boasting about it.

They should be made to shoulder their responsibility and resign, never to work in radio again.
Posted by Banjo, Monday, 10 December 2012 7:16:28 PM
We are all responsible for our own lives, I for mine, you for yours, if I decide to kill myself for some reason, whatever that is, then that is my decision only, no one else's, so stop blaming the radio station and radio personalities. There has been nothing mentioned about the reprimand that this nurse had to face and put up with from the hospital management, I could imagine it was severe, stop reporting on these two wealthy poms, I would say 95% of Ausies couldn't care less and would be very glad if the press stopped idolising them, I certainly am not interested in them.
Posted by Ojnab, Monday, 10 December 2012 7:24:48 PM
For anyone who has been around for a while all this is old news, as it seems to have been taken straight out of that magnificent series Frontline. I can't remember the details, but someone committed suicide. No wonder the reputation of the media is little higher than that of politicians.
Posted by plerdsus, Monday, 10 December 2012 8:00:10 PM
Banjo the Royal family put themselves above the rest of us, which is why the American independence came about all those years ago, no family is any better than any other family. The reason to take them off is the fact of a lot of stupid protocol, doff your hat, curtsy, bow,Ma am and all the rest of it, it is all very clownish to say the least in this present age, years ago they had respect but not now as most people now cannot be conned as of old. Other dignatories do not have this element of superiority that the Royals have and therefore do not lend themselves to ridicule,except in cartoons, it would be far easier to have a conversation with Obama than Liz, don' touch,wait till I speak, then answer, grin and think thank goodness she has gone.Without the Murdoch press and TV reporting about the Royals this whole affair would never have eventuated in the first place,I doubt very much if Mary (Denmark) had the same problem the radio station would not have been interested in doing what they did..
Posted by Ojnab, Monday, 10 December 2012 8:53:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy