The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The tentacles of extradition > Comments

The tentacles of extradition : Comments

By Kellie Tranter, published 23/10/2012

People are being extradited to the US to face criminal charges when they have never been to the US and the alleged act occurred wholly outside the US.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
If I had my druthers, there'd be no safe location from which to commit cyber crime!
If someone hacks into my computer for bank account/ID numbers or any confidential records, [which by the way are never ever held in any electronic memory bank, be it a cell phone, my PC or the cloud etc.] And just leaves behind a mess I'm obliged clean up, just so I can continue to communicate with family and friends, then I would like to see them caught and treated as the common criminals they truly are!
They ought to be held accountable for the harm, all of it, and punished appropriately.
Some of which could be community service, like holding periodic public lessons at an approved public location, for oldies not yet computer literate?
To say, standing trail for their part, in say, several revenge killings etc!
If for example, the "bail jumping common criminal" acts in a way that puts real lives at real risk or worse, by failing to validate or verify, with a publish and be dammed approach; that then causes someone to be actually killed for say, simply doing their civic duty!
Or shot in the head, for simply writing a diary or holding a contrary opinion? For heaven's sake, why can't your privately held views or peccadilloes remain, just your privately held views or peccadilloes!
[Crimes of association are I believe, worse than the actual crime!] But particularly, if the unbelievably arrogant coward, plays their principle role, from a very safe and secure location, or a cowards castle?]
[There's an old saying which goes, if you lay down with with dogs, don't be surprised if you get fleas?]
In conclusion, let me finish with, this.
That common criminal ought to be brought to account, to face the very same legal consequences, that applies in spades, to everyone else!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 10:57:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Will our Attorney General use the powers she has to stop extradition of an Australian citizen".
Thinks.
Hicks. Assange..
Collapses, ROFLMAO!!
Posted by paul walter, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 11:25:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The people of the USA did not vote for the Patriot Act or the National Defence Authorisation Act.We did not vote for the Howard's Sedition Laws.

It is about time they were all abolished.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 12:21:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This article by Kellie is probably the most important issue facing us today,yet attracts a mere 3 comments.Aussies are just as ignorant as the Americans.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 6:58:51 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
People who are likely to want to kill themselves, if they find they are to be held accountable for their actions, should, perhaps, not indulge in activities for which they may be held accountable.

The fact that some shrink says this is likely/possible is all the more reason to stop wasting time/money on shrinks.

It makes a lot of sense to me to allow people the freedom to do as they wish, provided it does no harm to others. If this involves them killing themselves, that is probably the best outcome for the rest of us.

If they are proven hackers, I would be quite happy to fund any equipment they may require.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 7:12:31 PM
Rhosty

I agree that a crime committed against a citizen of another country should be prosecutable even if the perpetrator was not in the same country as the victim, or indeed has never been to the victim’s country. But only if the offence was a crime in the country where the perpetrator was.

Cybercrime committed by an Australian citizen in a US citizen can be prosecuted in Australia. There is no need to extradite.

Countries’ attempting to expand their own legal powers beyond their own borders is, as the article suggests, a form of imperialism. We have seen several extensions lately. Many have good intentions (e.g. making sex crimes committed overseas by Australian citizen prosecutable in Australia), but raise troubling questions about legal process and the boundaries of jurisdictions. We have also seen US citizen convicted Gabe Watson convicted of manslaughter in Australia and re-tried for murder for the same offence on his return to the USA.

Some Americans seems to think the USA should be able to exercise its interpretation if its law on whomever it pleases, wherever they are
Posted by Rhian, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 7:24:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy