The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mr Abbott and women voters > Comments

Mr Abbott and women voters : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 11/10/2012

Menzies drew more support from women than he did from men, and in the 1960s women were less like likely than men to see themselves as Labor supporters.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Fighting for a party position, or just being in the political game requires some strength and determination which,although not elected to the position, has until now given me some respect for Julia Gillard. But no longer.

Sad to say I believe that her defence of the unspeakable speaker has shown her to lack judgement and character. If invective is now the favourite tool to use in the parliament she should have directed it more appropriately; not towards Tony Abbott. She must surely have lost many women supporters.
Posted by Noelreg, Thursday, 11 October 2012 11:16:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting article Don. However, my impression is that the "stream of criticism that has no parallel in the past" is possibly a little subjective, as, when a Labour voter, I observed a similar "stream of criticism" directed towards Paul Keating and then a similar tirade against John Howard. (Possibly worst against Howard).

I also have some trouble with your assertion that this criticism is "simply because she is a woman". I see no real evidence of this. Rather, I observe an unprecedented method of obtaining the Prime Ministership, a series of policy bungles, backflips and deceptions etc. I believe she is copping a hiding purely for her policy bungles. Anyone, irrespective of gender, would cop it for the manner in which the Labout Party has performed.

I agree with your analysis of the reason Abbot has enlisted the assistance of his wife, although I would also not be surprised if his wife took it apon herself to 'have her say' whether he liked it or not.

well worth the read.
Posted by Prompete, Thursday, 11 October 2012 12:35:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I didn't hear her defend the former speaker! It simply didn't happen and Hansard will support my assertion!
When the PM stood on her feet, it was to join with others to refuse to allow Parliament to become a star chamber or a Kangaroo court!
I believe Peter Slipper will likely stand again, and direct his preferences away from Mal Bruff?
Who as is public knowledge, was apparently advising Ashby, before the Ashby claim of sexual harassment was made?
If the former Speaker is eventually vindicated? Some may see the Bruff involvement, as just a very low blow, for nothing more than an unearned and or massaged political advantage or position.
Surely, it should be a contest of ideas, and not simply playing the man, instead of the metaphorical ball?
The public reaction to the PM standing up to combative, bully boy Abbott, suggests very strongly, that she should produce more of the same, at every future opportunity?
It would also be very good political strategy, I believe, for the PM to continue to focus attention on the Non-Labour states, and current outcomes there.
Like the incredible level of current gold plating of the electrical energy grid, or the way various entities have been seemingly rewarding themselves and or apparent cronies?
After that, The PM needs to continue, to compare and contrast Australia and our economy, with those controlled by conservative Administrations.
I've hardly ever voted for Labour!
But hell can fully freeze over, before dummy spitting, incredibly spoilt juveniles like the Road Runner; and or, the Gazelle get my vote.
[And would you believe, they seem to have written to Craigh Thomson, requesting his vote on a superannuation matter? High farce or hypocrisy, you decide?]
If however, the coalition reappointed former Leader Malcolm Turnbull, who has never denigrated women or any other even more marginalised group?
[Common courtesy and civility costs nothing!]
I and many other would likely reconsider our positions; and or, judge only on the merit of the issues; and or, the proposed policy solutions!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 11 October 2012 12:41:01 PM
'If however, the coalition reappointed former Leader Malcolm Turnbull, who has never denigrated women or any other even more marginalised group? ... I and many other would likely reconsider our positions'

given that you've said earlier 'I've hardly ever voted for Labour!'

What position are you considering changing?

Is it that you'd in future always vote labor?

Yep you've exposed your true feelings ...
Posted by imajulianutter, Thursday, 11 October 2012 6:38:48 PM
Scratch any Turnbull supporter & you'll find a Labor supporter under there.

What is it with Labor supporters that they have such dreadful taste in leaders. Whitlam, Latham, Rudd, Gillard & they want to inflict Turnbull on us, & he's not even one of theirs.

It must come with the territory, but Liberal supporters seem to be able to smell out a shonk, & get rid of them quickly when necessary, if they have been deceived for a little.

So Don I have to say no thanks to that suggestion, but if your figures are correct, I'll have to accept your other premise. The one that says women were pretty foolish back in Menzies day, & they show absolutely no improvement since, in their judgement.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 11 October 2012 7:24:26 PM
I just watched the 7.30 report when Leigh Sales couldn't mask her ugly vindictive Labor biased side. Luckily, Julie Bishop being a women unlike Sales being a mere female, made Sales look like the real sell-out dill she is.
I think the Labor hierarchy is so insanely frustrated to try & portray Abbott in a bad light that it's driving them crazy.
To say Abbott is a women hater is like saying the Labor Party of today has decency as a policy.
Both statements are 180 degrees wrong.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 11 October 2012 8:08:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy