The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The new zealots and Alan Jones > Comments

The new zealots and Alan Jones : Comments

By Nick Ferrett, published 9/10/2012

The corollary is that the very large number of people who enjoy listening to Mr Jones should not be permitted that pleasure.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I think you missed the point, and the root cause, of the boycott of Jones' sponsors and advertisers. The root cause of it all was actually his comments about women in power destroying the joint. That comment was seen as misogynistic and inappropriate and is what initiated the "Destroy the Joint" social media campaign. The call to sponsors started well before Jones' comments about the late Mr Gillard became known.

The "Destroy the Joint" campaign is about using economic influence. It is about the general public telling advertisers that there are some things that should not be tolerated (sexism being one of them). It is about telling advertisers that if they continue to be seen to support those who make inappropriate remarks publicly then it must be assumed that they agree with those remarks. It is about the public saying that if the advertisers agree with the remarks then they (the public) will no longer support the advertisers. If that leads the advertisers to (a) withdraw their support from Jones or (b) demand that he change his ways to retain their support, then that is the advertisers' call. I guess it all depends on how much they wish to retain their customers.
Posted by Carz, Tuesday, 9 October 2012 7:12:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While i agree with general tone of this article, i also agree with Turnbull that Jones is getting a taste of his own medicine.

My opinion is that Jones is pretty ordinary(although he can give important attention to issues i am interested in at times), and that most Australians are right to let him know that his comments were out of line.

The events have confirmed my faith in wider public opinion to get most things right.

As for the fanatics that will ever let this issue rest, well i agree with the author of this article.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 9 October 2012 7:33:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Chris well said.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 9 October 2012 8:31:18 AM
"While i agree with general tone of this article, i also agree with Turnbull that Jones is getting a taste of his own medicine"

The article is balanced and reasonable; as for Turnbull: he is a fool:

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/get_jones_campaign_driven_by_union_and_labor_figures/
Posted by cohenite, Tuesday, 9 October 2012 8:41:12 AM
Standing Ovation!

I was looking for that law but couldn't find it.

The silly thing about it is the advertisers should know a little more about the behavior of people (Hell they're marketing people FFS).

'I'll write a letter!' has turned to 'I'll send off a nasty email!' to 'I'll press like on that critique on facebook!',

but people will jump up and down and make a song and dance, but when they pass that shop that sponsors that station that produces that show that they don't listen to anyway that they promised they wouldn't buy form any more....

In the first week: No, I'll buy from somewhere else.
In the second week: Well, just this once. It's just so convenient.
In the third week: Huh? Forgot all about that.

There are very few people that stubborn or principled or petty or deep down really give that much of a flying fock.

I worry about anyone who seriously could maintain the rage for more than a week. What empty lives they must lead.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 9 October 2012 8:43:00 AM
can't wait to see how long the ABC will be able to maintain the rage against Abbott when he is elected PM. They managed over 10 years of bile and rage at Howard. Funny enough those showing such rage at Jones seem happy to have Slipper support the handbag mob.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 9 October 2012 9:22:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy