The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The ABC of gay-baiting Alan Jones > Comments

The ABC of gay-baiting Alan Jones : Comments

By Ben-Peter Terpstra, published 5/10/2012

Psychologically speaking, what motivates prominent ABC faces to gay-bait conservative figures?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Poirot,

What I am talking about, is the reaction to the comments,not the comments themselves.
Posted by mik, Monday, 8 October 2012 3:21:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mik,

You can't separate the comments from the reaction to them. Notwithstanding that the public like to see an arrogant personality receive his comeuppance.

It was the unacceptable nature of the comments that led to the furore - and the fact that his media conference was less of an "apology" and more of a "justification".
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 8 October 2012 3:30:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poirot,

Of course you can,as I have done!
Posted by mik, Monday, 8 October 2012 3:33:45 PM
mik,

"Cause and effect"
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 8 October 2012 3:38:15 PM
Alan Jones is one of Australia's most hated man for a reason, so people who defend him might first want to check out his long history of colorful comments. Then you might understand why so many hate him with a passion.
Posted by jason84, Monday, 8 October 2012 3:40:41 PM
I reckon you can make a distinction.

Its one thing to refuse to listen to a show, another thing to refuse to buy products form sponsors of the show, another thing to let the company know why you're doing that, but another thing altogether to organize or contribute to a blacklisting of companies for the express purpose of revenge and to silence a voice in the community you don't agree with.

The first 3 I have no real problem with, actually the fourth I'm not too bothered with either, on the PROVISO that it's a little hypocritical to bang on with lefty ideals of freedom of speech and being anti censorship when it suits but partake in the censoring of the people you don't like with those very motives in the case of Jones.

People are being quite open in that they want rid of him, not so they don't have to listen to him, but so others don't have the opportunity.

I suppose motive is the key really.

I also find it distasteful that every enemy has come out of the woodwork to kick the guy when he's down. I prefer someone to take him on without the lynch mob not with this cowardly cheap shots we're seeing from the likes of Carlton and others. Not that Jones is above cheap shots, but it's the hypocrisy I don't like. Which is why I don't like Jones crying he's being bullied when he's made a career out of it.

Leisure Suit Larry was all class with Leigh Sales, refusing to play the game and rising above it.

He's the hero in all this, going on national TV with his gown and drink, serving it up wonderfully.
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 8 October 2012 4:03:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy