The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Refugees and the Houston Report > Comments

Refugees and the Houston Report : Comments

By Alan Austin, published 15/8/2012

The fourth reality is that Australia can and should accept far more refugees than it does at present.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. 15
  14. 16
  15. 17
  16. All
Interesting responses. Thank you.

Now, just one more scenario: same as above, with one change.

This time it’s a family of white farmers from Zimbabwe who had been attacked by thugs who stole their farms with the support of the local police, and indirectly the government. The boat about to be washed ashore holds nine starving, dehydrated Anglos, three of whom are injured, two critically, and two others deceased. Four of the nine are children.

They explain in perfect English that they are the MacIntyre family, fifth generation farmers in Africa, have fled for their lives, have no identifying papers at all and no chance of going home as long as the regime lasts. They plead for medical care, food, water and a burial for the deceased.

As with the earlier scenario, Australia has already accepted its annual refugees quota.

What do you do?
Posted by Alan Austin, Sunday, 19 August 2012 7:37:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>>He smiles as says: “no probs,Oz is a free country, I have government certificate that gives me free hotel,free housing, free transport, free medical, free university and even free TV & Xbox.<<

No he doesn't. If he's been granted refugee status he gets permanent residency and a lot of the same rights as full citizens. They can't vote in federal elections but they do get Medicare and if they want it the joy of queuing up in Centrelink and putting up with all their crap in order to get benefits: benefits which are the same as everybody else's. There's a lot of Centrelink-dependent housos around where I live and they're not living the highlife on Newstart. I reckon most refugees will be smart enough to realize that it is actually easier to just get a job - even if it's an unpleasant one - then put up with all of Centrelink's crap and so they will become contributing members of the economy. Those who aren't that smart will join our own home-grown useless dole bludgers.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Sunday, 19 August 2012 10:36:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@Alan,

<< “ a family of white farmers from Zimbabwe who had been attacked by thugs who stole their farms with the support of the local police, and indirectly the government. The boat about to be washed ashore holds nine starving, dehydrated Anglos, three of whom are injured, two critically, and two others deceased. Four of the nine are children… have fled for their lives, have no identifying papers at all and no chance of going home…>>

Now here’s a scenario for you Alan.

If they were the aforementioned *WHITE* farmers.

Would SBS include them as some of its *victims* in its atrociously warped beat-ups “Go Back To Where You Can From”?
Would our professional refugee advocates picket the detention centre on their behalf ?
Would David Manne launch a high court challenge ( ala his Malaysian Solution challenge) on their behalf ?
Would Sarah Hanson-Young break down and cry in the senate about their plight?
Would Alan Austin be writing a piece on OLO bemoaning their plight?

The answer to all of the above: NOT ON YOUR NELLIE!
Posted by SPQR, Monday, 20 August 2012 6:10:30 AM
Bon soir,

Thanks again for the further input. Just some brief responses before calling it un jour here.

@Yabby: Agree totally re family planning and population control. Excellent point. We may get to explore this further one day.

Not sure, though, that any welfare recipients in Australia – home-grown or imported – get “cushy benefits forever”. I doubt it. But these things are all relative, I suppose.

@Ozzie: Always happy to be educated. Please post any data on this topic you think is lacking. Thanks, Ozzie.

@SPQR: Yes, Tony Lavis is right. Your Gold Coast scenario is a fair way from reality. SPQR, you haven’t been reading The Daily Telegraph again, have you? The Australian?

But you are correct in your last post, SPQR. None of those bleading-hearts you list would for one second bemoan the fate of white Zimbabwean farmers with no passports, no identification and no money. Why not? Because Australia does not lock up English-speaking whites in off-shore detention – as Malcolm Fraser noted last week.

Cheers, AA
Posted by Alan Austin, Monday, 20 August 2012 6:51:51 AM
@Alan,

<<Why not? Because Australia does not lock up English-speaking whites in off-shore detention>>

NUMBERS, Alan, NUMBERS.
The total number of whites in Zimbabwe was 46,743 (in 2002).
At the current rate of invasion (since Julia usurped the throne) that would be less than two years inflow!
Ergo, if our detention centre staff were reliant on the inflow of whites from Zimbabwe to keep their centres open, within two years they’d be lining up at centrelink looking for unemployment benefits –and you can guarantee they would not be getting any free white goods, widescreed TV or Xbox as part of their package!

<< Your Gold Coast scenario is a fair way from reality. SPQR,…>>
Still my scenario would be much closer to reality for someone living on our west coast that the little soufflé you served up.

<<as Malcolm Fraser noted last week.>>
Come, now, Alan, fair is fair.
If I can’t cite the Murdoch press you can’t cite Malcolm Fraser!
(and come to think of it, the Murdoch press is a darn side more objective & edifying)
Posted by SPQR, Monday, 20 August 2012 8:05:16 AM
Alan

I'd do mostly what you suggested earlier

'If he is a genuine asylum seeker he will be sent to whichever country has not filled its quota. If not, he goes home. If all quotas are full, he will stay in detention until they are revised. If quotas are not revised, he will likely commit suicide as have so many other asylum seekers under Australia’s jurisdiction recently.'

Of course I'd have a proviso or two, simi-lar to those of the UNHCR, before resettlement, he'd be able to supply appropriate paperwork or proof of origins for identification.

And in my detention centers, unlike yours, I'd make sure services were available to ensure no further attempts at self harm, either deliberate or as a result of unintended comsequence, like perishing at sea in a rickety boat, were allowed to occur.

However your example isn't realistic and exhibits dishonesty and a lack of decency.

At the height of the land theft and attendant murders in Zimbabwe many white farmers from Zimbabwe settled in Australia, after applying for visas, not by clogging (Abusing) the refugee system They used their own resourses to immigrate and settle here. And contrary to your unrealistic senario none ever turned up here illegally on boats.

I think you owe those farmers from Zimbabwe, who acted really decently, an apology.
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 20 August 2012 9:58:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14