The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Refugees and the Houston Report > Comments

Refugees and the Houston Report : Comments

By Alan Austin, published 15/8/2012

The fourth reality is that Australia can and should accept far more refugees than it does at present.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. All
@Alan,

<< “Raising the intake to 20,000 will not stop the flow.” Of course not. We don’t want it to>>
“We” of course being your little circle –not the majority of Australians – but then, whenever did your mob care what the prols wanted, eh?

<< The overwhelming majority of IMAs are genuine asylum seekers – that is, they are fleeing for their lives>>
So why on earth would they—shortly after securing their meal ticket in Oz –return to their much feared country of origin?

<< Any that turn up in Australia who are ineligible are sent home as soon as practicable. Simple as that. But most are found to be eligible>>
Total baloney –so how do you explain away the Irians?

<<If you want to “stop the flow” then you have to somehow stop the US and its allies waging war on other countries – or at least on poor, developing countries.>>
Did you by any chance attend the same school as Poirot?

<< The DIAC link you provide shows figures “published January 2004”. Things have changed since then>
Not at all. Chris Bowen was quoting the same less than a month ago on ABC Radio National –or will you discount his testimony too?

<< Your second link is to an article in The Daily Telegraph. As we have discussed previously, SP, there is no wisdom or truth to be found in any Murdoch publication, is there?>>
For all it faults the Murdoch press is a darn side more credible than the sources you parrot.

<< DIAC contracts are not the same as government grants. The former are payments for specific services>>
Yes, services that are dependent on the constant inflow of “refugees
Posted by SPQR, Friday, 24 August 2012 8:34:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*If you want to “stop the flow” then you have to somehow stop the US and its allies waging war on other countries*

Err hang on there, Alan. People are not fleeing from the Americans.
They were fleeing from the Taliban and from Saddam, long before
the Americans became involved in these countries. Given that Pakistan is behind
the Taliban and without Pakistan they would hardly exist,
perhaps you should talk to them about taking more refugees, unless
of course you claim that the country is full and urgently needs
family planning.

One reason why we would have more attempts from those countries,
is that America moved in with big bucks and those billions made
many families in both countries, quite wealthy. So now they can
afford people smugglers, with their greenbacks in their pockets.
Unlike the Burmese, who generally don't have two cents.

I don't know of too many Australians who agree with you, that everyone
is welcome. People believe that we are doing our share, even if a
limited few are on some leftie guilt trip. They are a marginal but
noisy group, that is all. So you are hardly speaking for Australia,
but for yourself.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 24 August 2012 3:40:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alan

you are as dishonest as Gillard.

'Australia’s immigration department assisted or enforced the departure of 10,785 people found not to be genuine refugees in 2011-12. This is up on 10,175 the year before. Next year's number should be higher still.'

Why don't you reference the source of this information?

Not one of those assisted or enforced deportations was off an SIEV. Not one boat person has been deported.

All the deportees have been arrivals with visas ... who applied for asylum or who overstayed.

Mate you ought to be bloody ashamed of yourself for peddling lies.
Posted by imajulianutter, Friday, 24 August 2012 7:20:04 PM
Alan,

Your arguments are a lost cause.

How do you feel about Gillard and Bowen adopting part of Tony Abbott's Pacific Solution?

How long do you think it will be before they have to implement Tony's Policies of TPV's and turning back the boats?
Posted by imajulianutter, Friday, 24 August 2012 7:23:28 PM
Hi again all.

Yabby, why do you say “perhaps you should talk to Pakistan about taking more refugees”? Do you know how many refugees Pakistan has received?

According to the UNHCR, Pakistan continues to host approximately 1.7 million refugees. This is the greatest number in any country by far - almost double the number taken by the second-ranked country, which is Iran.

This makes France’s effort here look pretty feeble – even though we accept nearly ten times the number Australia does (on one fourteenth of the land mass with already three times your population, and with a much weaker economy. But wait, I am repeating myself …)

Details re Pakistan here, Yabby:

http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49e487016.html

Hey, Keith, I just realised something. You and SPQR haven’t read the Houston Report, have you?

Pretty much all your questions are answered there. That’s where you will find the correct number of returnees in all categories. Appendix Seven:

http://expertpanelonasylumseekers.dpmc.gov.au/sites/default/files/report/attachment_7_returns_removals.pdf

The specific numbers of boat people returned from Australia is set out in Table 24: Number of IMA removals from 1 July 2008 to 3 August 2012.

Am I bloody ashamed of myself for peddling lies? No, not really, Keith. But I might be a tad embarrassed if I was discussing the contents of a report I hadn’t read.

How do I feel about Gillard and Bowen adopting part of Tony Abbott's Pacific Solution? Well, for a start, it isn’t Tony’s initiative, is it? Goes back a way before him. Personally, against it. But this discussion isn’t about my personal opinion.

May I urge you to read the Houston Report. Two benefits:

First, you will understand Australia’s actual situation.

Second, you will see how far from the truth is the ‘information’ you are constantly fed by Australia’s media.

Cheers, AA
Posted by Alan Austin, Friday, 24 August 2012 8:40:15 PM
Is the vacuous Tony capable of having an initiative?
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 24 August 2012 8:53:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy