The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Asylum-seekers: we know what we want > Comments

Asylum-seekers: we know what we want : Comments

By Graham Young, published 30/7/2012

Asylum-seekers arriving by boat might seem one of the most divisive political issues, but Australians, apart from the Greens and some on the ALP Left, actually agree on the bones of a common policy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
No argument from me on those points Ozzie except perhaps we ARE a "Lucky Country" due to the very people who live here? It might be that we are also lucky to have an abundance of mineral resources, exports of which drives our relatively robust economy despite a dysfunctional incompetent government.

Whatever way you want to look at it, you and I agree that our Nation and way of life MUST BE protected and preserved.
Posted by divine_msn, Friday, 3 August 2012 12:50:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was really just making a point as I often here it said by people from the left trying to make other Australians feel guilty. Stating that it is only luck that has given us a good country, and thus we should be sharing it with everyone else. Our luck is mostly self made.
Posted by ozzie, Friday, 3 August 2012 3:02:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What I don't get is why so many people think there is something orderly in the world of seeking asylum and I am puzzled as to why Graham YOung even bothered to write such tripe.

What we want is nothing to do with anything, it is what we are obliged to do that counts and it is not about our pathetic whining about our lifestyles.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Sunday, 5 August 2012 9:16:41 PM
Marilyn,

What we want is important. There is a huge spectrum of actions we can take whilst complying with the UNHCR charter. This includes the pacific solution which also complied.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 6 August 2012 1:44:18 AM
Article 32 of the refugee convention stipulates that no person shall be expelled without due process of the law.

In Australia that law is the right of any person in our territory to appeal to the high court.

Sending people without due process off to Nauru was not legal.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Saturday, 11 August 2012 4:27:47 PM
Marilyn,

Once again you are misrepresenting the legal situation. It is perfectly acceptable to process asylum applicants off shore. It is only once they have been accepted as refugees that they have access to the legal system.

Labor and the Greens have the blood of nearly 1000 drowned women and children on their hands.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 11 August 2012 4:48:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy