The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Terror groups and the exploitation of turmoil > Comments

Terror groups and the exploitation of turmoil : Comments

By Julie Bishop, published 5/7/2012

In killing bin Laden, the West cut off al Qaeda's head, but it has grown new ones and diversified.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
However the political value, to President Obama, of “finding” and killing bin Laden on Obama’s watch, in May 2011, would have increased cementing image Obama sought of being seen as tough and effective on terrorism. Saudi Arabia, whose political stability, was to a degree weakened by the Arab Spring had less power to keep bin Laden alive. Those Pakistani’s in the know could not (and still can’t) admit to several pro-Taliban, pro-al Qaeda sections of Pakistan’s population that Pakistan was cooperating with the US in keeping bin Laden under useful house arrest for so long.

So it was politically useful for the US leadership to at last carry out the death sentence that bin Laden actually expected for leadership role (he admitted) for 9/11.

How have I come up with this alternate narrative. By studying the region for five years, talking to people, and putting together what is more likely than the official, though perhaps necessary, story of America being simply ignorant about where bin Laden was. Implausibly ignorant of his whereabouts from approximately the time bin Laden escaped from Tora Bora in late 2001 to the time he “began to be discovered” in late 2010.

So this is not another anti-American theory. All credit to Pakistan, President Bush, President Obama and American intelligence for keeping this excellent intelligence operation so secret for so long.

The result of this six year “Operation Abbottabad” was that the intelligence and disruption gained prevented al Qaeda from carrying out any major terrorist acts in the West from late to 2005 to the present day.

I’ll write more after President Obama is re-elected in November this year.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 5 July 2012 11:00:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pete. An interesting hypothesis but one that I would argue is widely at variance with the facts. About three years ago an article in The American Conservative entitled Osama bin Elvis concluded then that there was more evidence that Elvis was still alive than that bin Laden was. The various arguments were nicely summarized in Griffin's book: bin Laden: Dead or Alive. That book incidentally demolishes the so-called admission by obl that he was responsible for 9/11.
The best evidence is that obl died in December 2001. The Abbottabad raid, like most of the media's coverage of Afghanistan, the war on terror, the Arab Spring, and current evenTs in Syria to name but a few belong in the fiction section. Ms Bishop's article may be similarly labeled.
Individual: I don't recall Suggesting that Labor's policy was any better. If anything it is worse because unlike the Coalition they pretend to represent something better.
Posted by James O'Neill, Friday, 6 July 2012 10:01:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi James

For obvious reasons I can't go into detail concerning the effect of an inadvertent tip-off from American intelligence which prompted this alternate narrative.

Regards

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 6 July 2012 10:08:58 AM
Hey Pete, "an inadvertent tip-off from American intelligence"

Is there really any such thing as American intelligence, I thought this pretty much disappeared after the death of Kennedy in '63.

G
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Friday, 6 July 2012 1:30:42 PM
Hi (again) James and G of P

Thankyou for your well argued comments on the alternate bin Laden narrative.

If you would like to debate this issue further I recommend you try my website http://gentleseas.blogspot.com.au/ as it provides non-derivative perspectives and generally respectful comments and responses.

Regards

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 6 July 2012 3:04:16 PM
Thanks Pete. I would like to discuss this further outside the constraints of a comment section. If you are ever in the Brisbane area give me a call.
James
Posted by James O'Neill, Friday, 6 July 2012 4:07:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy