The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia needs to condemn the Swedish attempt to extradite Assange > Comments

Australia needs to condemn the Swedish attempt to extradite Assange : Comments

By Wendy Nye, published 11/6/2012

The Australian Government needs to stand up for the freedom of all Australians, starting with Julian Assange.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
A number of points, first and foremost, it is easier for the US to extradite from England than a much more liberal Sweden! So if the US wanted to extradite him, he would likely be gone already?
Secondly, he seems to have a case to answer?
If I or any other Australian, had done what he allegedly did, we would also have a case to answer, and face extradition and the full force of Swedish law?
Somewhere it is written, "do the crime do the time". He seem to be going to quite extraordinary lengths to simply avoid answering charges? And for mine, it's not the way any truly innocent man behaves?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 11 June 2012 10:11:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The truth of the matter is that the Australian Government, under the pathetic leadership of Julia Gillard, is subservient to the U.S. in all things.

She has opened our country to the militaristic, imperialistic, warmongering 'SuperPower' (which is broke) and she will do anything it wants including not supporting Australian citizens who have had the misfortune to fall into its bloody hands.

Julian Assange had the courage to expose an aspect of the duplicity and brutality of the U.S. He should be lauded, should have received a hero's medal from Australia. Instead he is treated as a traitor because he presented the world with the truth about America and Australia's incestuous relationship with it.

Rhrosty, think again. Baaaing with the sheeple will not set the world on a better course!

http://dangerouscreation.com
Posted by David G, Monday, 11 June 2012 10:29:36 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am confused. My understanding is that he is to be extradited to Sweden on sexual assault charges. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech or anything else.If that is the case doesnt matter whether you agree with his other ventures or not. He has to answer to the sexual assault charges end of story. If anyone else had have done what he has allegedly done they would have to answer and so should he.
Posted by SC, Monday, 11 June 2012 10:56:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>>in his battle for freedom from the clutches of the Swedes.<<

Because the Swedish are actually an evil and duplicitous race and all that niceness they project is just an act to fool us? Because some horrible fate at the hands of those wicked Swedes awaits Julian Assange if he is extradited there? I find this hard to believe.

I'm pretty sure all that awaits Julian in Sweden is a trial under a system that while different to ours is fair and just. If he is not convicted he is free to go and if he is convicted he will be sentenced. The sentence may involve some time in a Swedish prison for sexual offences committed under Swedish law. I don't see what this has to do with freedom.

>>After all, two of the seven judges on the British High Court found it reasonable to decide that a Swedish prosecutor is not a “judicial officer” entitled to seek extradition<<

Now this is interesting: we inherited our legal system from Britain. If the majority of their High Court judges found that Swedish prosecutors were judicial officers entitled to seek extradition I'd be interested to see how the bench of our High Court would decide on the matter.

>>Why is it so hard for Bob Carr and Julia Gillard to support that significant minority opinion<<

What is wrong with them supporting the majority opinion of a group of a highly learned and respected judicial experts working within a legal framework almost identical to our own?

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Monday, 11 June 2012 11:24:07 AM
Everyone knows that the rape allegations are only a pretext to send Assange to the USA to be executed there for embarrassing their leaders. This should be recognized for what it is - an act of war.

Australia should send a helicopter with Australian commandos, either to the UK or to Sweden, to snatch Assange and bring him to the safety of an Australian navy ship or submarine. If this fails, then the next step would be to detain Swedish dimplomats and inform the Swedish government that if Assange is sent to the USA, then the fate of these diplomats will be identical to his.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 11 June 2012 11:47:07 AM
... it is recommended that you actually read and understand the item/article before posting comments ... it's almost as though parroting what has been said by mainstream media and government officials makes something fact ... Wikileaks has already illustrated beyond any doubt - through release of internal US Government documents - that 'democracy' is a furphy and that the governments of Sweden and Australia are little more than puppet defacto-representatives of US policy (and yes, i see the irony - unlike many of my fellow contributors) ...

... i do believe (let me review the article on which i am making a post ... yes, it's there - always wise to be sure so you dont look foolish) that there are 'NO CHARGES' ... weird that the Swedes are seeking extradition ...

... in an age where information is the currency of our time, how appropriate that those in charge of the temple are seeking to silence those calling for free speech ... almost metaphorical ... sounds curiously familiar ... like a story i heard when i was young ... how dare we desire truth and transparency!
Posted by o, Monday, 11 June 2012 11:58:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy