The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Weep the lucky country > Comments

Weep the lucky country : Comments

By Bruce Haigh, published 16/5/2012

When it comes to refugees weak people make tough decisions, usually to protect themselves.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
As a child I reported my father for sexual abuse and was laughed at, I reported my mother for beatings and torture and was laughed at.

I was terrified every day and every night of my life until I escaped at 15 only to discover the home my parents had found me to board in had a woman just like my mother who my mother had told I was a lying thief - nothing I did would convince her it was not true but my mother had destroyed my reputation before I even met this woman I was forced to live with for 18 months as a teenager.

I know terror. It's not like the terror of bombs and bullets and murders that faced my friends from Iraq, Afghanistan and Iran but it was terror none the less.

My Nana saved me, Ali Al Jenabi's story is truly remarkable.

I have no idea how or why this man has a skerrick of sanity left but anyone who believes he is evil would probably think my terrorising father was a good person like my local priest and head master did.

I am nearly 60 and have never really recovered 18 years of abuse.

I wept over this book even though I have known much of Ali's story for years.

What people don't know is that the Federal police tried to set up some other poor man as Äli Jenabi even when Jenabi was in
Darwin prison.

The other man was eventually released.

What Australia does here is an outrage, if helping refugees is evil then the taliban must be good. Right? So good that Afghans should cuddle up to them before they are slaughtered.

Right?
While we were jailing Ali AWB were paying hundreds of millions to the man who killed his family members and tortured him so they could keep wheat contracts in Iraq.

If you want evil, think about that.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Wednesday, 16 May 2012 4:51:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And I have always said the feds were involved with Abu Quessay and SIEVX.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Wednesday, 16 May 2012 4:52:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@Bruce Haigh,

Now I’m confused, Bruce –you say:
<< Ali who must put himself in the hands of people smugglers…All of this and more is contained in a tight, powerful and extraordinarily well written book, "The People Smuggler ">>

Yet, Marilyn Shepherd (on another thread) has read the same book and says it proves there are NO people smugglers:
<<In the book the People Smuggler it is shown clearly that there are no smuggling rings, something I have always said>>
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/index-articles.asp

<<Some people smugglers, like some politicians are bad and some are good. They exist because of need.>>
You could use that line to justify a thousand different shady professions.

<<People do not leave home on a whim>>
No I’ll grant you that –with mobiles phones and list of Ozzie contact number, a good deal of planning must have gone into it

<< they do not put themselves in danger for a better job>>
But who said they were seeking a “JOB”?
“More than 60 per cent of refugees to Australia have failed to get a job after five years, according to a damning Federal Government report into the humanitarian settlement program.
And 83 per cent of those households now rely on welfare payments for income.
The greatest unemployment rate was recorded among new arrivals from Iraq and Afghanistan, with less than one in 10 finding full-time work and 93.7 per cent of households receiving Centrelink payments.”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/a-world-of-long-term-welfare-for-refugees/story-e6freuzr-1226050094427
Posted by SPQR, Thursday, 17 May 2012 6:36:57 AM
@Marilyn,

<<And I have always said the feds were involved with Abu Quessay and SIEVX.>>

Yes Marilyn, but you have also “always said” that Ozzie naval personnel had “hang over(s)” at the time of the Xmas Island disaster –see here:

<< I suspect the truth is they were bored, had a hang over because they do booze a lot on Xmas Island or they were involved in the drug smuggling ring under cover of their work.>>

shepherdmarilyn :Posted Wednesday, 22 December 2010 at 1:57 pm

http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/12/22/were-customs-and-the-navy-ready-for-christmas-island-rescue/
Posted by SPQR, Thursday, 17 May 2012 6:48:33 AM
The fact is that calling it people smuggling is deranged when the people are allowed to cross borders to seek asylum, ergo they might need assistance but they are not being coerced by those giving the assistance.

And the truth about the loss of lives on Christmas Island would have been better if they had been drunk or hung over - turns out the morons were guarding an empty boat so that it didn't sink before the navy could scuttle it.

Think about that.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Thursday, 17 May 2012 3:37:28 PM
@Marilyn,

<<when the people are allowed to cross borders to seek asylum>>

Aye, but HOW MANY borders are they allowed to cross?

The answer seems to be: as many as it takes to find a social welfare system that suits them!
Posted by SPQR, Friday, 18 May 2012 10:57:13 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy