The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Peeking at Peak Oil: book review > Comments

Peeking at Peak Oil: book review : Comments

By Michael Lardelli, published 15/5/2012

A book on peak oil from the country where the greenhouse effect was first hypothesised has several Australian links.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I like to think that I’m a pretty dab hand at the English language too. I have written much in my life and have even been paid to edit and enhance the writings of others. And let me say that brevity is the greatest achievement in technical writing. But why would anyone want to read about me, about all that stuff, at great length, especially in a ‘book review’ on Peak Oil I was meant to be writing? Beats me.
Posted by Tombee, Tuesday, 15 May 2012 9:36:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I should point out that this was not submitted to OLO as a book review. That was OLO's label. After all, how can someone who has been involved in writing a book review it? My original title for the essay was "Translating Peeking at Peak Oil". I believe it would be of interest to those who have followed the Peak Oil issue for some time and hopefully it will spread awareness of the existence of the book (which is the most data-rich and broad analysis of the issue of oil depletion yet published).
Posted by Michael Lardelli, Tuesday, 15 May 2012 11:18:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Michael Lardelli's article doesn't say anything about the theoretical basis for peak oil, such as it is, although they have previously been aired on this site and debunked. If peak oil is about anything its about the switch from conventional, easy-lift, cheap oil to unconventional oil, and OPEC's failure to invest in production for entirely understandable reasons. That's where the bulk of the peak oil theorists are going, at any rate, and they have said so on this site..

So until now I was under the impressions Lardelli was a lone eccentric, becoming lonelier, but I see he has a mentor.. well, it can't be helped I suppose..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Tuesday, 15 May 2012 11:30:05 AM
Apologies Michael. One of my mottos is 'never assume'. But I did, without imagining that 'book review' could be an editor's embellishment. Sorry.
Posted by Tombee, Tuesday, 15 May 2012 11:55:01 AM
Curmudgeon, Like Cheryl and other diverse trolls on this site your main tactic is to redefine the arguments into a form that you can then "debunk". But there has only ever been one definition of peak oil. Ever since Hubbert defined the idea (although the descriptive term 'peak oil' was invented later) it has meant the peak RATE of oil production. That rate will be determined by a complex range of factors including geology/the form of oil reserves, investment, politics etc. (with geology being the ultimate, restrictive determinant). You need to pound that into your skull Curmudgeon. A declining rate of oil production means a declining rate of overall energy supply (since oil is so important in facilitating other forms of energy production) and that means less economic activity - i.e. economic contraction.
Posted by michael_in_adelaide, Tuesday, 15 May 2012 11:58:49 AM
michael_in_adelaide

Only one definition of peak oil? Sorry but there are peak oilist who would strongly disagree with you. See the link with the recent article on this site..

http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=13589

Now I certainly don't agree with all the article myself but his position is at least arguable, and according to him you and Michael Lardelli don't really exist..

As for Hubbert.. in fact, my definition of peak oil doesn't really contradict him. What you want to do is find the original article in Scientific America by Campbell and Laherrere which revivied peak oil in its modern form, using Hubbert (its available online).. They also agree with the indisputable fact that there is much more unconventional oil than there is conventional oil and its not running out any time soon. but they note there may be dislocation in the market..

The article itself has been overtaken by events in that it was arguing that no further deep sea deposits would be found and exploited.. so much for that forecast.. none the less you would be advised to read it before trying to lecture me..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Tuesday, 15 May 2012 1:50:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy