The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is there a bathroom in the house? > Comments

Is there a bathroom in the house? : Comments

By Jocelynne Scutt, published 10/4/2012

The discriminatory impact of physiology in everyday life.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Here we were quietly going about our Easter reflections only to discover that Jesus was not the only one capable of turning water into a whine.

I am shocked to be unaware of this critical feminist tissue. So men aren't alone in needing a hand to go to the toilet?

In continents other than Australia it seems not to be a problem. I am surprised at GrahamY's loitering around noticing queues at female toilets, though.

Even if there were the provision of female urinals I suspect Ms. Scutt would not stand for it.

Fortunately, these days you can almost always find a disabled toilet – almost never occupied – and it comes with all that useful extra leg room. A hint though… If you're noticed leaving just affect a severe limp until you're out of sight.
Posted by WmTrevor, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 3:40:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
WmTrevor,

"In continents..."

Ha! : )
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 3:57:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Solution: make public water closets unisex. A little stick-man on the door next to every stick-woman and a stick-woman next to every stick-man. Hey presto! You have just effectively doubled the amount of toilet space in Australia without spending a cent on new infrastructure.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 4:14:13 PM
I fear some posters here are just 'taking the piss' (hurrumph).

I found the article both illuminating and entertaining, as well as somewhat serious. In some things equality demands probity - everyone deserves a fair go, after all, and discretion is the better part of valour.

I must admit though, that I have not noted any particular shortage of facilitation in Aus. I would stand up for women's rights though, for fear of an invasion of privy!
Posted by Saltpetre, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 4:34:20 PM
Good article and a nice piece of cultural analysis too.

The architecture of buildings reflects the architecture and structure of our lives and the importance that we place on function.

It's so blatantly clear that women's toilets are so few and far between at sporting grounds and in the CBD, that there's a kind of Victorian prudishness at work. Or maybe, as per Jonathon Swift's poem, they don't wish to conceive of women going to the toilet.

The kind of juvenilia typed here by blokes as commentary is faintly reminiscent of the tee-hee locker room humor of boys who are trapped in the anal stage of development. They are floaters.
Posted by Cheryl, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 4:45:49 PM
I agree with Ludwig.

Very few men today would mind if a woman came in their toilet and used a urinal. I even suspect that most men would feel more comfortable with a woman at the next urinal than with another man there. Those few shy men who do require privacy may use the men's cubicles.

So solution is simple - open up men's toilets to women.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 5:01:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy