The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is there a bathroom in the house? > Comments

Is there a bathroom in the house? : Comments

By Jocelynne Scutt, published 10/4/2012

The discriminatory impact of physiology in everyday life.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Crikey, is this really a big problem?

I’ve seen scant little indication of it in Australia.

I’ve visited lots of crowded beaches this summer, in Sydney and all over southeastern Australia. Loos seem to be quite adequate. No queues to be seen!

Sure, at particular events which draw big crowds, the loos may not be up to the task, especially when everyone wants to go at once in breaks in the proceedings. But the same applies equally for men as for women in these circumstances.

Years ago at WA University I experienced a unisex loo, which has numerous cubicles and lots of people going in and out. I was quite taken aback as I walked in the door and a couple of young women came out, but they quickly assured me that it was ok to go in. This is the only time I have seen this, although you do see a few single-cubicle unisex loos around the place here and there.

I reckon there should be a lot more of this sort of sharing. It would certainly help to break down sex discrimination or the perception thereof…and if women happen to see men at the urinal and get a look at that most male part of the anatomy, well so what, in this day and age!
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 12:09:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Another day, another "cause".

Surely, if this were a significant problem, there are sufficient women in Australia to make enough noise that something would be done about it?

Are they a minority group? Hardly. Do they vote? Um, yes, I believe they do. Do they have a voice, can they speak up for themselves, are they on local councils, do they wield "purchasing power"... of course; all of the above.

Instead of witnessing a get-up-and-go [sorry] attitude to solving the problem, we are subjected to the protracted moan of the apparently-powerless.

"Although culture and physiology do play a part, the major problem is not that women need lavatories more often than men, nor that women spend longer in cubicles than men, whether for men in cubicles or at urinals. The major problem is that urinals take less space and women do not urinate standing up."

Hold on a minute [sorry]. Surely, the "major problem" is, quite specifically, physiological. And in my experience, it is a well-known fact that women do need lavatories more often than men, and that they do spend longer in cubicles.

I can well understand that there may be a shortage, due to the combination of all these factors. And it is generally true that in, say, office buildings and shopping malls, pretty much the same floor area is allocated to each gender.

But I doubt very much that there are too many readers here who can do anything more about it, than the author herself can.

Whatever happened to the women's movement? [sorry]
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 1:29:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...You have a very risqué view of toilets Ludwig!
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 1:43:12 PM
This has to be a wind up.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 1:44:00 PM
OK I'll bite

'women do not urinate standing up'

Um, yes they do. I have witnessed this on multiple occasions; Women entering the men's toilet and peeing in the urinal.

They just generally choose not to.

Incidentally, I find it amusing that its considered here some brave 'reclaim the toilets' for women to invade men's private lavatories, but I'd wager it would be considered some kind of aggressive misogynistic act if those men dared do the same.

' this is not an inconsequential nor a trivial concern.'

I agree. It's at the forefront of feminist issues. There is just so little else left to complain about.

'women are more likely to take responsibility for changing babies and toddlers' nappies, as well as taking older children to the lavatory.'

Where do you live man. Family rooms abound in all but the oldest shopping malls. I look forward to the dirty looks I sometimes get from some women when I bring my girls in there. Seems they feel it's either inappropriate or some kind of invasion of their womanly world.

' Australian women – deserve it.'
They deserve more toilet space than men just for being women or they deserve equal urinals so they can stand up while they pee? If it's the latter watch for the next feminist inspired outcry about women being forced to stand up to pee.

Sit down girls, you're worth it!
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 1:54:59 PM
Hee hee....fancy this terrible state of affairs existing - and me not being aware of it.

Gawd! - is there no sphere of the interplay between males and females that is not fair game for some kind of feminist whinge.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 10 April 2012 2:11:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy