The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > In defence of Smith > Comments

In defence of Smith : Comments

By Gary Brown, published 15/3/2012

The government is justified in taking stern measures to address the defence force malaise.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
A stimulating article though my lack of faith in politicians, even Ministers of the Crown, remains - hence I don't agree on all points.

I agree though that the "Defence Organisation" which may be synonymous with DMO, is fairly represented.

The key piece of evidence against Min Smith is of course the (Maj Gen retd) Cantwell article of March 10, 2012 http://www.nationaltimes.com.au/opinion/politics/lack-of-respect-cuts-both-ways-with-minister-20120309-1upmu.html . It moves from electrical knowledge issues to a detailed time, place, record of dialogue regarding Minister Smith.

I see the Cantwell details (I'm sure other witnesses, particularly from the US Army could come forward) as more compelling than the perceptions of loyalty, good intentions and good characters of the many previous defence ministers (who, as an indicator of loyalty, all moved quickly out of their Defence portfolios...).

I have an alternate theory regarding Minister Smith's conduct as recorded by Cantwell. That is:

- Smith was and is overwhelmed by his portfolio (he can’t leave it in the short timespans achieved by his Defence Minister predecessors),

- Smith was also exhausted by the plane ride, jet-lag and agenda of his lightning tour of Afghanistan.

Smith may also have resented a frequent trait in military briefings which might be summarised as certain of “facts”, cut and dried, clipped, but with perceived condescension. However the military briefing approach might be understandable in a profession where ambiguity may cause fatal hesitation.

Particularly briefings from those who risk their lives...
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 15 March 2012 11:48:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It seems Smith didn't grimace enough, nor make enough empty promises, to get the same respect as Faulkner. The "do you still beat your wife" question from the soldier that was expected to be answered with a "yes" or "no" was perhaps answered better than reported by Cantwell, who clearly has the knife held out and a conservative political leaning held in.

Smith is an unemotive nuts and bolts man, incisive and clear minded, not an ardent presser of the flesh. He obviously asks questions behind the scenes, if he does not do so in briefings, which clearly upset top brass. It may dislike his bedside manner but, by now, should have learned not to underestimate his conceptual abilities.
Posted by Luciferase, Thursday, 15 March 2012 2:26:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can't believe this garbage.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but as I get it, we have a new officer recruit who is perfectly happy to sleep around. They object however to being made a film star while doing so.

We have this same recruit charged with previous drunken behaviour.

Some idiot politician decides that because some of this recruits foolish behaviour has been caught on video, the charge for drunkenness should have been dropped. Why?

The recruits commander is suspended from his post, because he did not drop the previous charge. Of course if the commander had dropped the charge, he would then have been interfering in normal military justice.

If these facts are true, Smith must go. There is no other alternative. He has interfered in matters which should have nothing to do with him, or his roll, & has displayed total incompetence.

I wonder how much of the bull dust is because the recruit in question happens to be female? A great deal I believe.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 15 March 2012 2:44:34 PM
Smith is being criticized for trying to straighten out the military.
The criticism came from retired personnel. People that should know better.
Now of course the opposition has got to get on the band wagon. Just in case there is some dirt lying around.
This mob will do anything but talk about the economy.
Posted by 579, Thursday, 15 March 2012 4:19:00 PM
Hasbeen what consenual persons do is nobodies business, and in this instance persons of poor social intellect exploited this person for their amusement.
Your derogotory comments towards this person, is a sad reflection on your own social comprehension of the understanding of respect.
Posted by Kipp, Thursday, 15 March 2012 7:39:41 PM
There are strict no-sex rules for cadets at ADFA. There are a mass of other rules - in an environment of military discipline (one hopes).

Unlike normal uni students cadets are paid – an extra incentive to abide by the rules.
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 15 March 2012 7:56:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy