The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > No room to die > Comments

No room to die : Comments

By Deirdre Pirro, published 20/2/2012

There at the cemetery, I had my first real taste of culture shock.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
...Dierdre, you sure are impetuous. Your poor Father!
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 20 February 2012 8:04:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wish that when the time comes your dream will come true, to rest under the wattle tree on the nature strip in front of your house.

Sadly, as it currently stands, the multitude of government regulations would not allow you that last wish.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 20 February 2012 1:01:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A lovely story, thank you. Yet another reason why the human population has to stop growing...
Posted by popnperish, Monday, 20 February 2012 7:40:03 PM
population has to stop growing...
popnperish,
if Rudd gets in again we won't be able to afford to die.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 21 February 2012 6:27:09 AM
This is more than a nice story - it is key data on the major difference between 'traditional' and 'modern' societies. In the former, the family is a political power centre. In the latter the family's significance has been usurped by the state. If human happiness, well-being, and psychic maturity are deemed the criteria, it seems to me that traditional societies rate much better than modern societies. To recapture some of the strength, creativity and vitality of traditional societies the first step has to be to void all the state-sponsored legislation that has destroyed the POLITICAL strength of families. Ancestors ARE important to creating the family through time. Compare the cultural practices you have described with the state's ruling on cemeteries, that you may lie in your grave for 25 years, before being tossed on the rubbish heap. Cremation ashes are of course even easier to dispose of. My understanding is that cemeteries have a similar emotional salience in Poland. The cemetery that enabled me to understand the deeper significance of the difference between these two polar opposed culture norms is the beautiful 'village' of Pere La Chaise (sp?) in Paris.
Posted by veritas, Monday, 27 February 2012 9:33:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy