The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > UNESCO unmoved to try and end humanitarian crisis > Comments

UNESCO unmoved to try and end humanitarian crisis : Comments

By David Singer, published 31/1/2012

Millions of dollars of humanitarian funding are at risk because UNESCO refuses to get a legal opinion.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
This is nonsense. If millions of dollars of UNESCO funding are at risk, it is because certain parties are so desperate to see Palestine denied any form of recognition at all, even by a peripheral body such as UNESCO.
Posted by jeremy, Tuesday, 31 January 2012 8:31:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David Singer,

you have no credibility while you steadfastly refuse to answer my questions regarding your support for the punishment of innocents.
It is a fundamental value in the west for us not to indulge in that type of behaviour.
Again I ask you:
Why support punishing 'Hundreds of millions of people in third world countries (who)stand to suffer as these (UNESCO) programs (in literacy, gender equality and clean water) are curtailed or abandoned'

Why wouldn't you instead support punishment of those countries who voted to include Palestine in UNESCO?

Anyone who signs your petition is supporting the punishing of innocents.

It is no great wonder UNESCO is ignoring you.
Posted by imajulianutter, Tuesday, 31 January 2012 8:39:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David Singer, it seems to me that your concern for the loss of financial support for those UNESCO projects is really a minor consideration to you. Your real concern is that the Palestinians have done something to get up your nose and you don't want them to get away with that, do you?

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 31 January 2012 10:45:12 AM
#To Jeremy, imajulianutter and VK3AUU

My concern is that what UNESCO did was not in accordance with its Constitution. I gave UNESCO my reasons on 1 December. UNESCO has not responded.

I accept the jurisdiction of the International Court to determine whether Palestine's admission to UNESCO was lawful or unlawful.

The question you critics should all be asking is - why is UNESCO not prepared to do the same? - especially as its decision has cost it 22% of its budget which will be automatically restored if the Court finds UNESCO acted unlawfully.

Pardon me for believing the UNESCO Constitution is to be observed at all times - not broken.

That has obviously been an alien concept for all of you - as your posts indicate.

If you however now agree with me - then you can sign the petition at:
http://www.change.org/petitions/unesco-review-palestines-unconstitutional-membership

900 other people from 25 countries have so far agreed with me by signing the petition- and their numbers are increasing every day.
Posted by david singer, Tuesday, 31 January 2012 12:13:57 PM
I fail to see the point in denigrating Singer for posing a reasonable question to the UNESCO secretariat: was the admission of 'Palestine' in accordance with the constitution of the organisation? a simple yes or no would surfice. Can we neither denigrate nor 'punish' either the Palistinian proponents or the member states who voted in favour of that admission; they were fully aware of the economic consequences of that vote with regard to American domestic law, they are neither ignorant or idiots.

I would have thought those states voting in favour of admission would have considered a plan 'B' that would have had the effect of covering the inevitable funding shortfall that resulted in their vote.

It appears to me that they have done the Palistinian cause ('Palistinian statehood' - to which I agree) no favour in trying to short cut the UNESCO constitution in this manner, if in fact they have. When considering the monies at stake, I would think that 100k would be a cost effective way of having the issue resolved?
Posted by Prompete, Tuesday, 31 January 2012 12:44:21 PM
So, because the US is acting in character, like a spoiled spiteful bully and withholding funds due, UNESCO has to cravenly cave to their demands??
No comment on the inhumanity of the US administration using aid as a lever, a weapon, but then, what is new about that?
All because the wrong people won the wrong election?
So much for supporting Palestinian rights to self determination and a clear demonstration (if one was needed) of who/what pulls the strings.
I am still always amazed when supposedly intelligent people like Singer give their support to such utterly nasty behaviour.
Posted by Therzal, Tuesday, 31 January 2012 6:03:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy