The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The conscience vote in gay marriage > Comments

The conscience vote in gay marriage : Comments

By Yuri Koszarycz, published 16/12/2011

Abbott's decision to not allow a conscience vote on gay marriage polarises the broader community to either support 'the Party that supports gay marriage', or 'the Party that opposes amendments to the Marriage Act'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Dear David F.,

I suppose that in talking about politicians most of
us do tend to be somewhat biased. Depending on our
political affiliations we tend to think of those on
"our side," as the heroes and those on the "other
side," as the villains. Usually there is a middle-ground.
And the reality may be different to how we perceive things.

However, you are probably right about the predictable
politicians. Whatever they may say, most of them do not go
into Parliament to bring about particular reforms.

As Peter Coleman points out in, "The Costello Memoirs,"

"They go in because they find the life irresistible.
They want to be in it all their lives. They enjoy the
exhilarating highs and take its miserable (and tedious) lows
in their stride. They face long years in the wilderness
with equanimity. They take for granted the slander of fools.
They also believe that the voters will get it right in the end.
Their day will come. They are politicians in the way others
are poets. They can't help themselves."

Some are obviously not like that. Some are not seat-warmers,
hacks, or careerists, or at best adventurers. Some do belong to
a different parliamentary tradition. They do go into Parliament
to make changes. But as you point out, they are rare indeed.

We can only hope that the time is ripe to sort through
the past decade's irrational policymaking and offer a logical
set of policies, driven by the need of human beings rather
than political fear.
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 17 December 2011 1:58:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Lexi,

I was an adviser to Senator John Woodley. He was head of the Parliamentary Christian Fellowship when he was in parliament since he was the only ordained minister in that body. We had many differences as I have a very different worldview from him. However, he was alert to the wishes of his constituents, the moral and ethical consequences of his votes and the wider good of Australia. As an Australian Democrat every vote was a conscience vote. There is a party position but not a party line that all must follow. He is one of the finest, most honest, most thoughtful and most considerate persons I have ever met. Not all of the Australian Democrats were of that high quality. However, I have the distinct impression that there are members of the other parties who are also conscientious. Although I am in almost total disagreement with the policies of Bob Katter and think he is a bit of a clown I also think he is an extremely honourable person.
Posted by david f, Saturday, 17 December 2011 2:35:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Skeptic,

"Gay marriage is a big issue.

It has to do with the intrusion into the relation of two humans by State and Church."

How can you combine the two?
Churches are voluntary organizations, hence they should be able to do whatever they like in regard to their members - the State is not!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Saturday, 17 December 2011 9:42:10 PM
Dear Yuyutsu,

I agree that churches should be entitled to do whatever
they want within their own institutions - however they
do not have the right to impose their wills on others
outside their institutions -
and they certainly do have certain obligations to
respect the wishes of the secular society - as long as
they keep getting money from it.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 18 December 2011 9:46:31 AM
Dear Lexi,

I couldn't agree more!

A church is supposed to be loyal to God alone: a church which conducts a relationship and exchanges favours with the state, commits adultery!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 18 December 2011 12:17:01 PM
Preaching to the choir, Yuyutsu. There's no point trying to convince people in these parts of the validity of Matthew 22:21 - they already know. The idea is to convince all those 'Christians' like George Pell and Fred Nile, who make a mockery of their faith by professing to be Christian but dismissing Christ's teachings when they don't like them.
Posted by Humphrey B. Flaubert, Sunday, 18 December 2011 12:49:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy