The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The conscience vote in gay marriage > Comments

The conscience vote in gay marriage : Comments

By Yuri Koszarycz, published 16/12/2011

Abbott's decision to not allow a conscience vote on gay marriage polarises the broader community to either support 'the Party that supports gay marriage', or 'the Party that opposes amendments to the Marriage Act'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
I don't think Juliar has a conscience.

Every promise has a subtext: "There will be no carbon tax under the government I lead." (unless it is convenient).
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 16 December 2011 10:12:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"It is only a mystery if one still perceives the LNP as a 'liberal' party."
"All we can do is support the lesser of two evils."

You have an option: the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) is committed to liberalism in both its economic outlook and its social outlook.

Regarding the subject-matter, I believe that marriage is a private affair and government should stay right out of it - neither perform it, nor sanction it, nor register it. If one wants to marry a tree or 3 dogs, an elf, grandfather's clock and a frog, let them do what they like!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 16 December 2011 10:21:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When Prof. Koszarycz states: "The problem may stem from the Catch-22 teaching within the Catholic Church that states that, following one's informed conscience should align any decisions made, with the actual teachings of the church. Forming an alternative view, for the Church, only demonstrates a poorly informed conscience," I would respectfully say that he presents not the teaching of the Church, but the theological opinion of certain individuals in the Church, many of whom have powerful positions in the hierarchy. But the tradition of the Church in the long run supports following what may indeed be a poorly informed conscience over the explicit teaching of the Church.
Posted by U.S. Catholic Interloper, Friday, 16 December 2011 10:52:23 AM
:-) The U.S. Catholic Interloper is absolutely correct in his comment regarding "freedom of conscience." Even the Vatican II document, Dignitatis Humanae, states in its opening statement: "A sense of the dignity of the human person has been impressing itself more and more deeply on the consciousness of contemporary man, and the demand is increasingly made that men should act on their own judgment, enjoying and making use of a responsible freedom, not driven by coercion but motivated by a sense of duty."

My point is that Tony Abbot, despite professing his Catholic convictions, has not allowed members of his Party to exercise personal responsible freedom, but rather has opted to polarise the wider community by coercing his parliamentarians to vote according to Party lines
Posted by Yuri, Friday, 16 December 2011 11:10:08 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can see clearly why Yuri Koszaryc WAS a lecturer at the Australian Catholic University. His political analysis and total naivety regarding the granting of a conscience vote on gay marriage is astounding. The issue is a political one because the ALP chose to make it one by bringing it into the parliament. Abbott is responding politically and rightly so. That this ex-lecturer should attempt to bring religion into an Australian political forum is disgraceful. We are an egalitarian nation where a person's religious beliefs are his own business. Who cares as to whether Abbott talks to the Cardinal Pell or Gillard talks to the Grand Mufti? As long as they do the job that they are paid handsomely for is all that matters. Go back to your ivory tower Yuri!
Posted by Yevheniy, Friday, 16 December 2011 11:42:39 AM
David: an honest politician? THAT would be a novelty. Has one been sighted yet?

US Catholic: Yes the church's insistence on following a right formed conscience isn't a new invention. It goes all the way back to one of the Doctor's of the Church St Augustine no less. I discovered this arcane theology in the late 60's when I refused to go to church and was immediately taken off to the local parish priest\. He then informed me out of earshot of dad that under this doctrine I would only be condemned for not following my conscience. He and the church felt that any right formed conscience would of course respect and follow the church. Little did they know...

regards
dkit
Posted by dkit, Friday, 16 December 2011 12:09:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy