The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Social and legal demands of victims of abuse > Comments

Social and legal demands of victims of abuse : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 2/12/2011

The case of ‘Angela’ and the Tasmanian DPP

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Jennifer Wilson ,

...This article is another of your usual emotive “rants” against men from the safety of the ivory towers of Academia. It is full of inconsistencies which I have highlighted, and your “quipped” responses simply prove your lack of ability to confront this issue from any practical angle. Your silence signals a lack of honest desire to address the urgent and critical need in our community, to address child prostitution, with all its complexities.
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 7 December 2011 6:31:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Diver Dan, you really need to stop and have another look. You are completely off the mark regarding Jennifer's writing.

I can't work how you could possibly get that view of what she is saying but it is seriously wrong.

"She’ll be right on the night! I am onto it! I have read them all, worry not!" http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=12964#223832, if your continued pushing of the line you are taking then is any indication I don't think it will be all right on the night.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 7 December 2011 6:56:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
RObert:

...All my comment is legitimate and consistent with the article. That is why it will be "right on the night". And would you wish to enlarge on this:

# if your continued pushing of the line you are taking then is any indication I don't think it will be all right on the night.#

...Please explain!
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 7 December 2011 7:06:51 PM
diver dan, Houellebecq and I have both tried to point out how wrong you have got it. There is nothing in the article which could credibly justify the views you are expressing about it. Nor in my view in any other articles that I've seen of Jennifers.

It's deals with reason's why some people can't or won't proceed with seeking justice, in particular the issues around a particular case but it also acknowledges the difficulties adult women and men face dealing with the aftermath of sexual assault.

"There are grown women who will not pursue their attackers in the courts. There are grown men who will not even admit they’ve been sexually abused, let alone name their abusers. Why then should anyone expect a thirteen-year-old girl to do this, not once, but over and over again?"

Not sure where to go with this, I strongly believe that you've got it really wrong in this case.

Not sure why but your current approach is extremist and only serves to attack one of the fairest authors writing on gender related issues on OLO.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 7 December 2011 8:10:28 PM
Nah, I think what we're seeing here is another OLO-inspired example of the way free speech is so valuable in helping us to reassess our most fundamental approaches to understanding social phenomena.

All this time we've been making policy to cater to the needs of the Rational Economic Man, but the thoughts presented in this forum by the likes of diver dan may well indicate that we've had the wrong end of the stick all along. Quite fascinating really when you think about it.
Posted by Sam Jandwich, Thursday, 8 December 2011 10:45:50 AM
diver dan,
You seem to be angered because I didn't address the existence of the sex industry, and what you see as the victim status of the men who are its customers in my article.

You're right, I didn't analyse either of those issues.

The article was entirely about my disagreement with some people who've been making very public demands for the men involved in one particular case to be prosecuted, without thinking about the effect that would have on "Angela." I wasn't interested in broadening the piece to include the matters you raise, and I think they are deserving of separate articles anyway.

You want to engage me in discussions on articles I didn't write. If and when I write about the sex industry and/or men who are it's customers then I'll willingly engage with you in those debates. In this instance, I'm focussed on "Angela" and the reality that victims of rape, male and female, don't always want to pursue their attackers in court and they have a human right to make that choice no matter what anybody else thinks they should do.
Jennifer.
Posted by briar rose, Friday, 9 December 2011 6:09:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy