The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is Israel preparing an assault against Iran? > Comments

Is Israel preparing an assault against Iran? : Comments

By Neve Gordon, published 22/11/2011

The IAEA report on Iran's alleged nuclear programme was surrounded by a media frenzy in Israel supporting an attack.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Nonsense. Israel on its own has no military capability of hitting Iran's nuclear program, which is spread over too many sites and too deep underground.

Israel could however, and should, participate in a coalition, of NATO and others, if/when an operation against Iran's weapons is decided. Iran does not threaten only Israel, but the entire world, primarily Europe, so there is not reason why Israel should attempt to take the whole consequences of war on its own.

James asked: "how is Iran a threat to Israel?"
- well, Iran keeps declaring that it will destroy Israel and it keeps arming Israel's deadly enemies, especially Hezbullah in Lebanon.

The article cynically compares the plight of Palestinians with the threat to Israel's existence: the Palestinians may not have self-determination - that's bad enough, but their life is not under threat, while Iran strives to kill every Israeli man, woman and child.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 23 November 2011 9:10:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@ yuyutsu. You really need to distinguish between Israeli propaganda and historical reality. You will have to go far back in history to find Iran being an aggressor in the sense of invading any of its neighbours. It is rather the victim, notably with the Iran/Iraq war that went on for 8 years with over a million Iranian casualties. Iraq was the invader, armed and financed by the Americans.
Look at Israel's record. It invaded and occupied Lebanon for two decades. It still occupies Lebanese territory, as well as Syrian territory, both of which it refuses to relinquish contrary to UN resolutions and a ruling of the International Court.
Hizbollah is a legitimate political party and part of the governing coalition in Lebanon. It arose in response to oppression of the Shi'ite population, and the Israeli invasion and occupation.
To discuss Israel's defiance of international law over Palestine would take a tome in itself.
There is no evidence that Iran has nuclear weapons or is even developing them as several reputable commentators have noted: see for example Seymour Hersh's latest piece in the New Yorker.
It is disappointing that you try to perpetuate the tired disinformation that Iran threatened to wipe Israel off the map. What was actually said, which you can find out if you bother to actually try, is that the Zionist regime would disappear from the pages of history. That is a very different argument.
I reiterate my original point. Why would Iran attack Israel, the world's 4th or 5th largest nuclear power, knowing that such an attack would invite massive retaliation and destruction? The Iranians are not a stupid people.
What is going on is a massive propaganda effort to soften people up in the same way we were prepped for the invasion of Iraq. One of the many tragedies is that Australia is being sucked into another war on behalf of the mad Zionist regime in Isreal (and I use the word 'mad' advisedly) and their neo-con allies in the US. We deserve better.
Posted by James O'Neill, Wednesday, 23 November 2011 5:31:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have a question for you, James:

Were Israel to totally repent today, withdraw from all occupied land, observe the international laws and bodies, and change its zionist government to a... well lets say something like Australia: Will, in your view, the Arabs, Palestinians and Iran allow it to survive? Will they allow the citizens of Israel to live and be free, say in a manner like we are here in Australia?

Now I will answer your question:

"Why would Iran attack Israel, the world's 4th or 5th largest nuclear power, knowing that such an attack would invite massive retaliation and destruction? The Iranians are not a stupid people."

- Because the Iranian leader belongs to a particular fanatic Shiite sect which believes that their Mahadi, the "hidden Imam" is about to appear very soon, bringing the dead believers back to life, so even if they die, and especially if they die as martyrs, they will soon rise back in all glory and honour.

What's Iran true reason to attack Israel? because they will never forgive Israel for being the Shah's best ally, over 30 years ago.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 23 November 2011 6:30:24 PM
Yuyutsu,
I will answer your first question. It is very difficult to predict the outcome of hypothetical situations, particularly given the poisoning of the waters over the past 63 years. A big influence on my thinking is a former colleague at the University of Bergen in the 1970s. He asid there would never be peace in Israel/Palestine as long as a Zionist regime occupied Palestinian soil. We know know how the state of Israel came about, and it was through a betrayal of the Palestinian people that continues to this day. Notwithstanding that history I am persuaded that a multi-ethnic state is possible, which is not to say that it is likely to happen.

I am afraid that the rest of your letter does not advance the argument. I mean this in the kindest possible way: you need to read some serious history. Your image of Iran bears no resemblance to reality.
Posted by James O'Neill, Wednesday, 23 November 2011 6:39:46 PM
Yuyutsu,

The Shah was installed by the U.S. after the CIA colluded to overthrow the democratically elected government of Iran.

With that in mind, it's not surprising that the Shah was seen as an ally by Israel.
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 23 November 2011 6:44:29 PM
So given your answer, James, that "It is very difficult to predict the outcome of hypothetical situations, particularly given the poisoning of the waters over the past 63 years.", what (if any) would you do differently if you were an Israeli and your life, and the lives of your family, depended on that outcome?

Regarding Iran, have you anything to say about their treatment of other religions and of women? I was once helping Iranian refugees who were sentenced to death for "forsaking Islam" because customs found unIslamic religious books in their suitcase when they re-entered Iran. They managed to escape while on bail, cross the border with fake passports, and are now in Australia.

Dear Poirot,

I don't know or care about the Americans, but it is a well-known fact that the Shah and Israel were best of friends and carried out many joint military exercises and extensive trade. The question is, whether today, all Israelis, including those who were not even born at the Shah's time or were just children then, deserve the death-penalty as a result. Any takes?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 23 November 2011 7:01:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy