The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > IAEA credibility and Iran’s nuclear program > Comments

IAEA credibility and Iran’s nuclear program : Comments

By Abolghasem Bayyenat, published 17/11/2011

The IAEA is straining very hard to find any evidence of military use of Iran's uranium.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The decision to flog uranium to India makes the continued harrassment of Iran seem all the more inexplicable, unless you factor in Israel and its phobias.
What an unstable region the Indian subcontinent is, dominated as it is by the incendiary long term rivalry of India and Pakistan, yet it seems even India is ok, but not Iran.
"Two legs bad; four legs good"?
Posted by paul walter, Thursday, 17 November 2011 6:43:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul, I do not find the "continued harassment of Iran to be "inexplicable.
1. "Israel and its phobias". The publicly stated objective of "wiping Israel off the map" has come from the Iranian Government on several occasions.
2.Iran has a track record of violent interference, either directly, or,through its proxies, in Lebanon, Gaza. Iraq and certain Gulf states. Its influence is thus feared within the Arab World. A nuclear armed Iran would be able to flex its muscles with greater vigour, and could enhance its ability to crush external opposition with the same brutal efficiency that it has crushed internal opposition.
Posted by Bempec, Thursday, 17 November 2011 8:01:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The IAEA report has crossed the line of factual unbiased reporting I don't accept that Iran is doing anything wrong in seeking to develop nuclear power for peaceful purposes and even enrich uranium considering they are surrounded by Pakistan,India and Israel, all of whom have Nuclear Power and unlike Iran ,are not parties to the Non Proliferation Treaty.What more does Israel's paranoid leadership want ? As for the comment on wiping Israel off the map, if Israel continue to persecute Palestinians and oppose peaceful solutions to settlement, they are provoking such comment.
There is no doubt, Israel would dearly love to attack Iran and foolishly might do so if the US does not rein them in.
Posted by maracas1, Thursday, 17 November 2011 11:51:53 AM
Maracas 1, I do not follow your logic. You state that Iran is "surrounded" by Pakistan, India and Israel. Since when have Pakistan and India made any threats against Iran? If anything, these countries would more likely support Iran against an Israeli threat.
You claim also, that by the Israeli denial of rights to Palestinians, Israel is provoking Iranian comments such as "wiping Israel of the map".
Do you actually support such threats of genocide by Iran? Would you also justify genocidal threats against Sri Lanka because of their treatment of the Tamils, or China because of their denial of human rights to the Tibetans?
Posted by Bempec, Thursday, 17 November 2011 4:06:37 PM
Good article.
I don't know what all the fuss is about to be honest. If Iran does in fact want a nuclear bomb it is for a very good reason. Israel and the US continually threaten to attack it. Imagine if we were to read in the papers about how the the president of Indonesia was was trying to convince his cabinet to support an attack on Australia (like we read about Netanyahu this week), and China continually stated "all options are on the table". I think we too would want the bomb.
Having the bomb means no-one can attack you. I would certainly trust the Iranians more with nuclear weapons than I would the Indians, Pakistanis or Israelis. The Iranians have never waged war on their neighbours except in self defence.
I get very tired of the "wipe Israel off the map" business. That was a mistranslation and Ahmadinejad has repeatedly asserted that the solution to the Palestinian/Israel conflict needs to be by way of referendum. That is a far cry from threatening war.
Posted by Rhys Jones, Thursday, 17 November 2011 4:14:18 PM
Rhys

Couldn't agree more. Bet Saddam wished he had the bomb (incidentally - didn't the IAEA say he had one?)

Unfortunately, Iran is probably not developing a bomb but really does want it for peaceful purposes. It's a shame because a bomb would ensure peace in the ME. Israel has shown time and time again that it will not make peace until it has to. A nuclear Iran would ensure peace for generations to come.
Posted by dane, Thursday, 17 November 2011 4:42:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy