The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Myths of freewill > Comments

Myths of freewill : Comments

By John Burnheim, published 11/11/2011

Are we free to act or does that assume we have a choice?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
John Burnheim,

What a date for remembering Myths.

Brian Holden is determined to broadcast his wisdom to all and sundry.

But what wisdom can be gathered on the way to superannuation?

Earlier I tried to tell him that the harm that holds the deadliest weapon is the one that dictates the choice.

Has he ever heard of Patrice Lumumba or the Rwanda genocide or Kosovo or the conditions of Palestinians?

Why some people choose to be so blind?

The original inhabitants of Australia do know what the claim of freedom of choice issuing from the pen of Brian Holden or any other newcomer to their land means.

Had we only the decency to shut up.
Posted by skeptic, Friday, 11 November 2011 9:24:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
correction: arm not harm.
Posted by skeptic, Friday, 11 November 2011 9:46:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We all make decisions coloured with our own bias and self interest.Very few of us make decisions based on the greater good for all humanity.

The globlal consenus at the moment is that there is just too many people on the planet and we are destroying the environment.This is not an absolute since science can expand food production way beyond what is now possible.

So there is a movement towards more wars,economic austerity and even a reduction in the food production capacity.Some like Maurice Strong, want the world's pop reduced to under a billion.This is their free will in operation that over rides the will of the vast majority.

We have never had free will in our democracies,because the ruling elites control the money supply.They then tell us about the flaws in a system to justify their totalitarian solution to a crisis of their own making.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 12 November 2011 8:18:09 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a pile of waffle!

Typical of academia in general, & Philosophy in particular.

Is it a plan, or just an accident that they manage to waffle on long enough to avoid ever making a decision? Before they've done waffling the reason for, or opportunity to, make a decision is long gone.

I guess it avoids these people ever having to exercise any freewill, or take responsibility for their lives. Perhaps that's why they think the rest of us don't exercise our free will.

No, wrong there, they are still waffling on about what they think.

Even worse, we pay them to do this.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 12 November 2011 9:46:13 AM
Prof. Burnheim,

Anyone who has had the serenity to think about the human condition cannot but see that we have one and one only freedom; that of killing ourselves.

For man, as any other organism, living on the surface of a physical structure as a Planet, is subject to the quirks of its Elements, the feral and parasitic among the other living entities and the unstoppable greed of his fellow man.

Death to man can come from all angles.

We have no alternative, hence no choice.

No Professor, we understand the plight of Mr. Holden.

He has been a good boy, never saw the inside of a prison camp and never was a salaried educator, so he deserves our tolerance.

But we do not deserve a string of sophisms either!
Posted by skeptic, Sunday, 13 November 2011 11:53:36 AM
Look! the lesser brains will fire unclear weapon's. We should of not given them the technology.

Thats going to come back on us, for sure.

Free will is how mankind got here in the first place and to stop it, well....your stopping our own evolution......think about it.

The free thinking mind is aloud to explore new grounds, and why would you stop this?

Like Charles's Darwin, (even though his papers were hidden by cause) and yet, the work did get published ( no thanks to religion ) and the truth was told.

I don't want to go on, I mean no ill to my fellow worshipers.

If one can teach love without profit, that's what I call, the true human-being.

Good free will the world needs, not bad free will......and I think this is the way to go as we explore our earth.......what do you lot recon:)

CACTUS
Posted by Cactus..2, Sunday, 13 November 2011 3:39:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy