The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Papandreou to the EU: let my people vote > Comments

Papandreou to the EU: let my people vote : Comments

By Jonathan J. Ariel, published 4/11/2011

Given the scale of change required of the Greek people, any deal needs the seal of public approval.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I would have supported a referendum in Greece, for good reasons.

Firstly, it would have caused a healthy debate in Greece, about
how deep in the poo that they really are. The stark choices would
have been laid before people, ie that there are no easy options.

People would have then become directly responsible for their
actions and at some point have to accept the reality of the situation.

All that will happen now, is whatever Govt decides, there will
be more demonstrations and attempts to overthrow the Govt, as
everyone tries to shoot the messenger. That will solve exactly
nothing.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 4 November 2011 12:43:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...Greece proves the point! An economy based on olives and tourism is unsustainable; it should ring warning bells to the Australian “fetish” of migrating industry and importing population!
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 4 November 2011 1:43:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jonathan J. Ariel,

The problem with a referendum is that the decision of the people is enforceable. If he were to lose gamble and the referendum, simply because the people did not understand the consequences of a default it would turn out very badly.

This is not a time to gamble with the flick of a coin.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 4 November 2011 1:49:05 PM
I must say I am highly sceptical that a referundum will actually result in reasoned and intelligent debate on the fundamental financial problems plaguing Greece.
I suspect they will degenerate into the more typical jingoist and simplified sloganeering stuff we get over here.
Honestly, which do you think is more likely - a panel discussion of leading economists about sovereign debt or a round of 'hell no, we won't hold out until 65 to retire, pay taxes, sack public servants etc etc etc!'
Posted by J S Mill, Friday, 4 November 2011 5:31:10 PM
So here we see the shills of anti-democracy advocating that there should be no referendum by the people in Greece on more bailouts for in all reality is the corporate banking system.Iceland told them to stick the Euro and has gone it alone.

The IMF,US Fed and Bank of International Settlements admit they through "Quantative Easing:" (ie counterfeiting of our currencies)have created inflation, then have the audacity to loan it back to us as debt? The real criminals are not the Greeks but the Central Banksters.We have to end the fractional reserve system of bankster slavery!Then the world will have peace and prosper.

Note also the Greek Govt has sacked all key Military leaders for fear they will side with the people.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 4 November 2011 7:50:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*If he were to lose gamble and the referendum, simply because the people did not understand the consequences of a default it would turn out very badly.*

Your implication of that, SM, is that basically people are too stupid
for democracy. I will have to agree to disagree. People do in fact
sometimes need to learn by pain and its only by living with the
consequences of their actions that they do.

In fact Greece could be a great lesson for billions, of what could
happen when Govts borrow too much.

Covering all this over with various EU Ponzi schemes, is not going to
teach people anything. People will just vote in another Govt and
shoot the messenger, which will solve nothing
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 4 November 2011 8:53:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy