The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Politics and parenthood > Comments

Politics and parenthood : Comments

By Damien Hickman, published 20/10/2011

In modern politics, you have to constantly feed the media. Not unlike my little girl. It is exhausting and relentless.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Some charming observations, Damien. As the mother of three very junior 'backbenchers', I can relate. I think the moral of the story is that you can't please everyone and appeasement doesn't work - all you can do is "do the right thing".
Posted by Mishka Gora, Thursday, 20 October 2011 6:28:09 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for insights shared, Damien. The link is no coincidence, either. If you haven't already looked at George Lakoff's writings on political 'frames' and the 'metaphors we live by,' then I suspect you would be very interested to. Meanwhile, the linguist/philosopher criticises Lakoff's position, also very intelligently I reckon.
Posted by Tom Clark, Thursday, 20 October 2011 11:32:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Apologies, that last sentence was supposed to read 'the linguist/philosopher Stephen Pinker.'
Posted by Tom Clark, Thursday, 20 October 2011 11:33:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes. And political parties are creches where the most prolific dummy spitter gets to be leader and parliament is a kindergarten but without the discipline and monkey bars.
Posted by Neutral, Thursday, 20 October 2011 1:06:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy