The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Same sex marriage: an agnostic's view > Comments

Same sex marriage: an agnostic's view : Comments

By Don Allan, published 14/10/2011

You don't have to be Christian to oppose same sex marriage.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
What is going on? How can an article without hysterical claims and dubious statistics possibly play a part in this debate? Thank you Don for a rational article.

In my opinion, we should have legal rights for all couples but marriage remaining as it is.
Posted by rational-debate, Friday, 14 October 2011 7:22:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wow, you're actually serious? You implied everyone's going to be in a same-sex marriage (completely ignoring that this is just removing discrimination based on an inherent characteristic) and there will be no children? This was tedious to read, because it was so illogical; this is something I would expect to hear/read in Uganda. Seriously, how can a rational person think people are going to get involved with same-sex relationships if marriage were legal, unless they're actually oriented as gay?

Nevermind your apparent ignorance about all of the polls conducted showing strong support, or ANY of the studies done on the topic of gay parenting.

Read up on the basics before you talk about issues.
Posted by adamzmo, Friday, 14 October 2011 7:25:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don Allen,
I agree, we are being brain washed my the ABC media that gays are deprived of equal rights. A Nonsence!

Marriage is not the legal registration, the laws or contracts; the registration, laws and contracts cover the real life of marriage. Marriage is the reality of the lifelong committed relationship of a man and a woman. It is an exclusive sexual union, and in Church views violated by adultery.
Posted by Philo, Friday, 14 October 2011 8:02:58 AM
An interesting contribution. But I found the "so my opinion is" bit at the end rather lame.

"My view is that same sex marriage is not a religious matter but a legal matter and that marriage should be the subject of a legal contract specifically for a man and a woman."

I can concur with the first part. But at the end of the second part of the author's view, I was expecting a "because..."

Where was it? What is the linkage between the non-religious nature of marriage, and the sudden appearance of the "specifically for a man and a woman"? What could possibly be the justification for this difference, since the law part of it would concern itself predominantly with property issues and financial responsibilities?

"An identical legally binding contract conferring the same social benefits on same sex couples as a marriage contract confers on man and a woman should also be created. What should it be called?"

If it is identical, why would it need a different name?

Unconvincing in the extreme, Mr Allen. If the thought of homosexual couples makes you uncomfortable, why not just say so, instead of wrapping it up in this string of non sequiturs?
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 14 October 2011 8:12:45 AM
Excellent post, Pericles. I guess you don't have to be a Christian to be against gay marriage, but you do have to be pretty dense.
Posted by Cosmogirl, Friday, 14 October 2011 8:32:53 AM
You don't have to be religious to be against SSM - true, nor do you have to be religious to be against abortion either. You do need to be a judgemental type however, along with a complete inability to walk in another's shoes.

Thanks for an article which proves that bigotry is not exclusive to religious fundy's.
Posted by Ammonite, Friday, 14 October 2011 8:42:04 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy