The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why my generation is wrong about gay marriage > Comments

Why my generation is wrong about gay marriage : Comments

By Blaise Joseph, published 14/9/2011

There is nothing wrong with a definition of marriage that discriminates - it is meant to.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. Page 21
  10. 22
  11. All
Philo by your vitriolic attitude towards Gay people, you are aware that Jesus Christ would condemn you!
Posted by Kipp, Wednesday, 28 September 2011 4:17:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kipp

Yes, I would dare to stay that, of course. And I dare to say now that you have not read but a word from the qoutations I have put here in this debate a few days and pages ago. Or have you?

And would you qoute, please my hateful sentences (if you find but one)?
Or is it polite and just from anyone's part (including you) accusing someone of something without evidence?

Are you interested in facts at all, in general? What if you really, really read those articles I proposed? Without anger and prejudice?
Posted by Mary Ward was here AMDG, Wednesday, 28 September 2011 8:58:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kipp,
My closest mate was formerly homosexual before becoming Christian. He is now 63 has never married is a brilliant musician and accountant. I worked with him for 9 years. He has adopted a whole family, mother, father, and three boys as his family; as he is relatively well off. I have nothing against any persons. I abhor the homosexual act, and I will continue to speak out against such.
Posted by Philo, Wednesday, 28 September 2011 9:45:06 PM
It's all about the children. The common argument against gay marriage - think about the children.

Are we 1) referring to children of parents in heterosexual relationships that will be affected by gay marriage? Or 2) is it about the potential children that will magically be spawned once gay marriage is allowed.

If you honestly believe that heterosexual relationships will be changed or diminished then you have very little faith in relationships - perhaps your own and I think you should be looking at your own relationship then trying to stop others trying to get married.

In regards to the second point, lets be clear - we AREN'T talking about gay adoption, or gay foster parents - We are talking about gay marriage. The common argument against that is of course 'well once you open that door what's next!". Well, to that, I say the jury is out - but just remember that gay foster parents and gay adoption are are already allowed in many states.

Personally I know where i stand, but there is just as much evidence that points to homosexual couples being able to raise children as heterosexual ones - the waters are very much muddied by political and personal views.

What we do know for certain is that children are suffering now, and they're being ignored by the people who are most vocal about wanting to protect them.

People are ignoring the children who are bullied because they're gay.
People are ignoring the children who don't feel like they can be accepted by their families and have to hide the truth because they're gay.
People are ignoring the children who commit suicide because they can't handle the bullying, the helplessness and the fear of being gay.

If children are our future, then you are turning them aside by ignoring the children who are gay. I honestly believe that until such a basic fundamental human right as getting married is allowed to gay people then we aren't doing all we can to stamp out bigoted, closed minded bullies.
Posted by Zapo, Tuesday, 18 October 2011 9:46:48 PM
Zapo,
Marriage as defined by the gay community will not stop bullying. Bullies do not respect human rights. You have a false expectation in the change in the definition of the act of marriage.
Posted by Philo, Wednesday, 19 October 2011 10:21:20 AM
Philo

Same Sex marriage isn't being defined by the gay community, it's being defined or supported by a much larger group.

Social change is in part helped on by changes to laws. Did the perception of women not change over time as they were able to vote? Did the perception of African-Americans not change after the end of slavery and segregation? It's naive to think that it wouldn't have an impact.

When the government is essentially discriminating against homosexual people - what kind of message does that send? It won't end bullying, I'm not that optimistic, but I think it's just one of the many other things to further acceptance.
Posted by Zapo, Wednesday, 19 October 2011 10:28:25 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. Page 21
  10. 22
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy