The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Giving your dentist a checkup > Comments

Giving your dentist a checkup : Comments

By Jonathan J. Ariel, published 1/6/2011

Assessing medical professionals online

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
A kind of ' My School" site for the medical/dental profession?
If it's good enough for teachers, why not for other professionals?
Posted by Cambo, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 9:07:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sounds like a good idea, those who are providing a good service should have nothing to fear, the rest will have to lift their game.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 11:40:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As it is run by a private insurer, this site is clearly aimed at reducing the credibility of complementary practitioners, and thereby reduce its claim load to them.

I do believe the public should have a site for the participatory evaluation of medical and complementary service providers, but it should be hosted by an unaffiliated non-profit organisation that is transparent and accountable.
Posted by clickcraftsman, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 11:45:29 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Whitecoat" works on the presumption that all health consumer clients are of similar judgmental perception to one another. In the real world two consumers may have completely opposing views on the abilities of the same provider which may be based on professionally irrelevant details. It also presumes that all clients posting on the site are of sound mind, and anyone working in the health industry can assure you that clients present with a wide array of personalities and rationalities. The site has already been told it can not progress based on legal infringements of the privacy act in its current state. I would have concerns regarding the defamatory aspects of it as well. Since when did everything have to go up in "cyber land" anyway, what ever happened to good old word or mouth referral from another health professional or a trusted friend?
Posted by Allied practitioner, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 12:41:07 PM
This will be just as time wasting as the My Schools website for the very reasons Allied practitioner puts forth.

Just because somebody makes a judgement then makes it public does not mean it is correct - it is subjective. These sites can do more harm than good and provide no real valid information. There might be some merit in revealing a consistently bad performer but these will be the exception rather than the rule most of it will fall into grey areas. Who monitors the site? What is to stop some wily practitioner from getting friends and family to put in a good word. We may as well use the same system as 'Australian Idol' and get friends and rellies to text their vote, it will be just as meaningless and will end up with winners like Guy Sebastian rather than real talent.

Medical and associated services are often selected via word of mouth of those we trust, sometimes out of the yellow pages, or who is the closest. Experience will reveal if we made the right choice.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 2:10:41 PM
Thanks for this Jonathon; just what we've been looking for. Having been mislead by a dental practice on the price of cap ($2500!), I have revolted against their $500 per hour robbery.

Last procedure I had was in NZ; cost half as much as it would have here and even less with the exchange rate.

Met a bloke in Bali who was having a lot of dental work done there; paid for a decent holiday and still had money over with what he saved compared to having it done in Australia.

However, I believe there are ethical dentists in Australia; I just want to know where to find them. The site you refer seems to be just the ticket! Will it have lists of dentists and their charges too?

It's the charges that hurt more than the procedure!
Posted by Roses1, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 4:31:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy