The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The price of shopping online versus the shopping mall > Comments

The price of shopping online versus the shopping mall : Comments

By Ben Irvine, published 27/5/2011

Some shoppers like the experience of the retail 'high street' and others prefer a ‘googled’ shopping experience. What is driving online shopping in Australia?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Mark ups in Australia are becoming absurd. I recently needed a set of glow plugs for my diesel vehicle. I rang around. A national chain wanted $260. The vehicle manufacturer wanted $140. I went on line and got a set for $27.95 delivered and they arrived in the next days post from a Brisbane supplier with 12 months warranty. No wonder people are turning to buying online.
Posted by Sparkyq, Friday, 27 May 2011 9:28:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Financial issues aside, I prefer to deal with a person face-to-face. The more and different types of people you deal with, the broader view you'll get of the world and city you live in. That's just my preference...I seem to spend far too much time communicating via computers these days.
Posted by Phil Matimein, Friday, 27 May 2011 11:42:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Different strokes for different folks.

I had a laugh at Harvie Norman bitching about being undercut by online retailers. People shop on line to avoid the kind of markups that Harvie and his ilk perpetrate on buyers.

Check out the price of books in your local bookstore and then check out Amazon. The difference is buying direct.
Posted by Cheryl, Friday, 27 May 2011 12:09:53 PM
For whatever the reason many retail stores in main shopping centres do not stock maternity clothes anymore. I bought five items online this morning,no problems, no going from centre to centre and finding no one stocks maternity clothes, all items very reasonably priced. Order will be delivered within a few days. No delivery charge order over $100 and I received a $30 gift voucher, no retail outlet will meet that standard of service and convenience that's why buyers sometime choose to shop online. For me mainly out of necessity.
Posted by MAREELORRAINE, Friday, 27 May 2011 12:12:50 PM
Lots of little reasons added up, often make one big reason, so
it is with net shopping.

The bloke who runs Deals Direct mentioned somewhere that around
40% of his clients are from country Australia and that would make
sense.

Convenience, price, massive choice, no travel costs to go shopping,
better service then in most retail stores, all add up to one good
reason.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 27 May 2011 12:25:15 PM
Amazon book prices should not be assumed to be the lowest online. Other online sites, such as Fishpond.com.au, often beat Amazon's prices.
Posted by Raycom, Friday, 27 May 2011 2:54:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy