The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Planning for our failing. > Comments

Planning for our failing. : Comments

By Philip Nitschke, published 19/5/2011

Whether it is a long, drawn-out, degenerative disease such as MS or an acute bout of terminal cancer, none of us knows what is around the corner and the best laid plans can and do go awry.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
What I find absurd about my need to shorten my pain in dying, is the intrusion of politicians between me and myself.

If I am able to commit suicide no one can stop me but, if I need some help in dying, all sorts of rat- bags, for strange reasons of their own, try to withhold that help, thus adding more pain to the one I am under.

Dr. Nitschke’s idea of establishing a public clinic, open to the scrutiny of everyone, is grand.
Posted by skeptic, Thursday, 19 May 2011 10:11:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Earlier this month the voters in Zurich, Switzerland were ask to vote on whether or not to ban their law allowing assisted suicide, and whether or not to outlaw that service for visitors.
According to a report in BBC News on 15 May, some 85% of the 278,000 votes cast opposed the ban on assisted suicide and 78% opposed outlawing it for foreigners.
This is an idea whose time has come, and for all of us aging baby boomers who have lived our lives advocating personal choice, none too soon.
Posted by halduell, Thursday, 19 May 2011 10:21:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So please tell us Phillip, do you still stand by your claim that: "all people qualify" for euthanasia, "including the depressed, the elderly bereaved, and the troubled teen"? June 5, 2001, interview with Kathryn Lopez on National Review Online

If you do still hold that position then surely, if you are a man of integrrity, you should be saying so. If you have changed your views, why have you, and have you made that known?
Posted by JP, Thursday, 19 May 2011 11:15:57 AM
Opponents of assisted suicide are inhumane. For whatever reason, they are condemning humans to suffering that would never be tolerated in an animal. It's time the government stopped siding with them and left it up to those who need help to die. It's their choice, not the government's
Posted by DavidL, Thursday, 19 May 2011 1:47:10 PM
To strengthen your words, Skeptic:

"What I find absurd about my need to shorten my pain in dying, is the intrusion of politicians between me and myself"

I find it absurd for politicians to intrude in the relationship between me and God.

As Dr. Nitschke writes from a secular perspective, he seems to accuse religion for the acts of politicians. False! Only the politicians themselves are responsible for their oppressive actions, not religion! While it may well be true that "the final moments of life offer a redemptive satisfaction one gets closer to God", who are this bunch of secular ignorants in power to try and enforce upon us spiritual principles which God Himself does not enforce?

I praise those who have the courage to stay alive till the body naturally expires. I think it is meritorious, but no merit is possible without free choice.

While I do not recommend the use of Dr. Nitschke's proposed exit clinics, I will fight for his right to have them if that's what he wants.

JP,

Yes, from a legal point of view, everyone should be allowed to terminate their life and to assist others who so wish to terminate their lives, for whatever reason, including the depressed, the bereaved and the troubled. It is none of the government's business.

From a moral point of view that's different of course, but nobody ever appointed this secular bunch of ignorants who sit in parliament and government as a moral authority or as spiritual guides.

DavidL,

I fully agree with your conclusion, though I don't consider it a compliment to be called "humane". The most serious suffering which governments inflict on dying people is not the physical pain, but the lack of choice whether to endure it or not.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 19 May 2011 2:22:27 PM
*False! Only the politicians themselves are responsible for their oppressive actions, not religion!*

That is a bit simplistic, Yuyutsu. The Vatican is an extremely
cunning lobbyist organisation, globally. Never underestimate
their tentacles and how far or deep that they stretch.

Given the Vatican's hold over many a Catholic politician's alleged
ticket to heaven, I have no doubt that threats of excommunication
would soon fly, for Catholic politicians agreeing with euthanasia.
Along with a great deal of political pressure, lobbying etc.

Last time I checked, suffering was considered noble by the church.
It is one of the reasons why Opus Dei members carry little whips.

The Vatican's fight against euthanasia is IMHO clearly inhumane,
but we don't let those little bits of trivia intefere with the dogma.

Good on Nitchke for giving those who want it an option. For the
record, I know of various cases of Swiss people who have used the
euthanasia option, mostly terminal cancer patients in alot of pain.
I'm told by those attending, that its a very well organised and
beautiful experience. Its just a shame that a person like me, if
I was in that situation, would have to try to fly to Switzerland
to have my wish granted.Never forget, all that palliative care is
a highly profitable business.
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 19 May 2011 5:18:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy