The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Abortion: Grief, suffering – or relief?‏ > Comments

Abortion: Grief, suffering – or relief?‏ : Comments

By Evelyn Tsitas, published 6/4/2011

If women feel grief after an abortion, then it probably wasn't an abortion they were really after.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
There seems to be 4 main themes in feminism.

Abortion, portrayal of victimhood, destruction of family, and give women more money.
Posted by vanna, Wednesday, 6 April 2011 4:34:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Once again theists have demonstrated their skill in building vast structures of nonsense on a tiny foundation of self-delusion. But what do you expect from people who make it their business to believe the unbelievable and venerate the unspeakable?
Posted by Jon J, Wednesday, 6 April 2011 6:48:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jon J,
Protection of the unborn or unhatched also happens in animals, reptiles and birds, to blame theists for the guilt and depression is nonsense. It violates the natural ethos of the female to give life and protection to her babies. It is part of the natural protection of the species from predators. Examples in birds are pluvers, magpies. Remove their eggs and study their behaviour, yet neither will deliberately destroy their eggs.

Surgical abortion increases the risk of breast cancer, and further problems in retaining a pregnancy; example the writer herself. Her problems had nothing to do with theism, but her previous actions.
Posted by Philo, Wednesday, 6 April 2011 8:27:18 AM
“So I have no time for the women who can't get over their abortions. They obviously didn't want to have a termination in the first place.”

Harsh. Circumstances change, they get older, and they aren’t who they were back then. They feel regret which seems perfectly normal.

Vanna is it a commonly held view that only feminists get abortions beyond the medically necessary ones? Does having an abortion label a person as a feminist?
Posted by Jewely, Wednesday, 6 April 2011 8:51:23 AM
Philo,

There is no indication I can see that the author has had an abortion herself.

You seem to favour evolutionary principles in referencing maternal behaviour in lower animals. Your analogy falls short in that they do not have cognition of abortion or the social structures that human societies do.
Posted by McReal, Wednesday, 6 April 2011 9:26:31 AM
Thank you Evelyn for calling it as it really is.

I am close friends with a doctor who performs terminations and your article reflects exactly the reality of what the vast majority of women say and feel about terminating their pregnancy. All women she sees have counselling which includes a discussion of her reasons for seeking a termination. Not for wanting to second guessing the woman's decision, but to cover the legal requirement. It also uncovers a small number of women who will actually drop a few clues that they aren't prepared to take full responsibility for their decision to terminate or are at the clinic "under duress". When asked if they are sure of their decision, whereas 99% will look the doctor in the eye and say "100%". A few will say something like "90% sure", or "I don't actually believe in abortion by my case is different", or "I don't actually want a termination but my husband will leave me if I don't". In those cases, she wont perform the termination on that day but will refer the women to an independent counsellor and given more time. Not a single person who has been turned away has ever been visibly upset or angry, most appear relieved. That's not to say that none of the women who were sure of their decision were sad afterwards. These women accept that there is no easy outcome to an unplanned pregnancy either way, but they accept this as their choice and take responsibility for it and move on.

A typical cause of sadness after terminating a pregnancy is associated with the breakdown of the relationship, not actually the abortion itself. "Mr Right" who told her that he loved her, wants to get married and have kids, when faced with an unplanned pregnancy, says "your going to have an abortion aren't you?" A decision which she may have taken hours or days to make takes him milliseconds to make.

Right-to-lifers insistence that women should suffer with ongoing grief, are fuelled from a desire to punish these women, not from any concern for them.
Posted by crumpethead, Wednesday, 6 April 2011 10:37:28 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy