The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An employee’s guide to catabolic collapse > Comments

An employee’s guide to catabolic collapse : Comments

By Cameron Leckie, published 1/4/2011

Those industries that depend upon cheap energy, high levels of disposable income and/or an expansionary credit cycle are likely to be the first to downsize.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
It seems we may be headed for a reversal of fortune and practice.

As Cameron wrote, it was the population shift away from agriculture to urban communities and "jobs" that marked the industrial age. So it goes that Western humans may be forced to revert to agriculture.

Perhaps when all is said and done, the industrial age will be seen as a blip on the history of our species - one that we couldn't sustain through our irresponsibility and our lack of vision and concern for future generations.

After all, pre-industrial societies endured. They possessed systems and communities and rites and comforts (material and psychological).
It's difficult for us to imagine a life without switches and buttons and instant gratification, yet most of the world's population live like that still.

We in the West live an exalted existence - all taken for granted.
The great shame is that we never learned to tread the "middle-way" - to bridle our excess - to make a good thing last.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 9:48:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"We in the West live an exalted existence - all taken for granted."

You might take it for granted, I rejoice living in an age of plenty and galloping technology, sure there are some things still wrong with the world - but why should we wear hair shirts because not everyone is as well off as we are in Australia? We are at a point in our existence where so much is provided for the sheer joy of life, yet we have our misery bags who fear doom is our just desserts for such an existence, who think retribution of the earth is only just around the corner of every street.

A middle way, oh jeez grasshopper, enjoy what you have instead of agonizing over what others do not have. Life is short, there will always be those without, do what you can for them, but don't become bitter or resentful of people who may do their charity in ways you do not see or understand (or approve of).

Your understanding of "excess", may be my distribution of wealth. Would you prefer I stuck it all in some fund somewhere never to see light of day and only to travel from bank to bank to share portfolio to capitol portfolio, or to spend it on local industries, resorts, car companies and thus keep it in circulation.

Clearly some of us see life as something to be enjoyed, and others see those enjoying it and say they are wasteful and need to be taxed more so they can enjoy less until they are as miserable and resentful as some others, like eco activists in fact who are some of the meanest, miserable people I ever see.
Posted by Amicus, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 10:32:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Amicus,

Well yes, you're entitled to rejoice in your good fortune....yet, if that excess begets a society in ruin with little recourse to the wisdom and skills required to sustain an alternative paradigm, then one has a right to question it.

I don't take anything for granted - all the more for looking beyond an "age of plenty and galloping technology".
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 11:03:56 AM
poirot "yet, if that excess begets a society in ruin with little recourse to the wisdom and skills required to sustain an alternative paradigm, then one has a right to question it"

no you don't have a right to question it .. you have no rights at all to question or pass jugdment on anything anyone does in our modern society.

I find it offensive that eco types like yourself sit around shaking their heads at other people's "excess", as do many people who are getting fed up with the people who think they are on this planet to pass comment on other's lifestyles.

For some reason then think it appropriate to limit other people's ability to have fun or enjoy themselves, because you find it excessive.

You can live in a cave and have a miserable life, and I won't comment or stop you, you are so welcome to it.

A society in ruin .. you wish!

Wow this sounds more like a religion every day, the eco religion eh.
Posted by Amicus, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 11:19:01 AM
Amicus,
your comments amply demonstrate that you have no concept of life outside this system which feeds off conspicuous consumption, consumption which is actually rationalised a virtue in this bizarre dispensation as it keeps the money in circulation. That might actually be paradise for you and many others, an utterly catered existence, but here's the problem, it's a fools' paradise because it's unsustainable, not to mention inequitable, in fact it's madness in a closed system with finite resources. You can be as precious as you like about it and puff yourself up with indignation that "eco types" have the nerve to "question" unconscionable glut, but I for one do question it, indeed I condemn it!
And I can assure it has nothing to do with religion. It's your type that needs absolution!
Posted by Squeers, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 11:44:46 AM
sqeers "it's a fools' paradise because it's unsustainable, not to mention inequitable, in fact it's madness in a closed system with finite resources

Why is it not sustainable, because you say so? That's your opinion, there are many others.

Why is it inequitable, because you say say and you're precious values measure it that way.

"It's madness" .. jeez you're busy with your little judgments aren't you?

"finite resources", what's your measure of that? We can keep going till we use up this world, and by then move on to the next - so what?

Some people have your outlook on life, some don't, and I don't care if in your guilt over resource use, you "condemn it!"

I can't stand you precious religious (and it is a religion) view of the world any more than you can stand mine, at least I'm not trying to bother you about what you do. Eco whackos do try to bother me and others about what we do - we have every right to use whatever we want and you have every right to do bugger all, but don't get in our way, you don't have that right at all.

So go back to quietly smoldering in the corner, there's a good chap.

Let the people who want to have a good time, do just that.

You can do double time on guilt if you like, another hair shirt.

You're like bloody evangelists who think they have to convert everyone to "save them".
Posted by Amicus, Tuesday, 5 April 2011 2:04:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy