The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A curate's egg, but far from rotten > Comments

A curate's egg, but far from rotten : Comments

By Roy Williams, published 22/3/2011

NSW Labor is not nearly as bad as it is made out to be.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
A perceptive and astute analysis.
Posted by LRAM, Tuesday, 22 March 2011 6:38:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well done, Roy, quite balanced. I'm tired of Carr's and Graeme Wedderburn's attempts to re-paper the cracks in Carr's own walls. Let's remember the chronic rail problems from 2000 to 2005 then a too-late commitment to fixing the suburban rail system which led to further deferrals and cancellations producing embedded cynicism. And Graeme, thank you for the appearance of manipulation of the planning system for mates at Orange Grove.

O'Farrell will have ti turn this around in stages, starting with the NW and SW rail extensions BUT won't be able to reverse the climate challenges or congestion without major new ideas, not visible at all from his team. Do best with what we have should be the mantra BUT with imagination and leadership.
Posted by Frederic Marshall, Tuesday, 22 March 2011 6:51:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks, Roy - appreciated your article.
Posted by packman, Tuesday, 22 March 2011 3:03:14 PM
Rotten, but not-so-bad?
lets see:
-Lane Cove Tunnel, drastic speed limit reduction, and subsequent closure of above roads into....nothing, for no reason other than it reduces alterntatives other than to pay to use the tunnel.
-Barangaroo scandal
-Planning Laws in general
-Sell-off of hospitals, mental hospitals and schools on prime real-estate
-World Youth Day, police powers, infrastructure closure
-APEC policy powers and infrastructure closures
-(despite the above being outrageously expensive and unnecessary, they somehow don't have money for infrastructure).
-Attempted electricity selloff.
-Sale of NSW lotteries at a paltry price barely in excess of the yearly return.
-Strangely, most members only stick around until they qualify for a pension and quit- and join the ranks of companies, who, coincidentally, happen to be the same ones who bought the privatized assets!

For all these they just respond in waffle.

I believe a better word for this is corruption more befitting a mafia, not merely 'bad government'.
The only things the members of the state ALP have 'worked hard at' are trying to sell and lobby attempts to implement policy which, really, just benefits them- unless they're really swimming in 'it' and try to bribe an electorate.
Posted by King Hazza, Tuesday, 22 March 2011 8:04:40 PM
The NSW Labor Government's road infrastructure was actually put into place by the Greiner/Fahey Government, not by the Carr Labor Government. So that is one mistake made by the author.

The author's 2nd mistake is to say that health was not neglected. When I lived in NSW during this mob's rule, many parents found themselves evicted from public hospitals because they demanded someone to look over their sick child and some, charged for trespassing. All because NSW medical staff under Labor's rule, refuse to care for sick children.

One of my children was one where on falling on her skull and blanking out for about a minute, they refused to scan her head, let alone observe her. No, they told me as her father to do it. When I demanded a doctor without being irrational, I was frog marched out by security with a girl who had been knocked out.

NSW Labor deserves every single seat they hold for now and forever.
Posted by WombatMan, Wednesday, 23 March 2011 3:02:47 PM
I meant, Labor deserves to LOSE every single seat they hold.
Posted by WombatMan, Wednesday, 23 March 2011 3:04:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy