The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Will women lose when O'Farrell wins? > Comments

Will women lose when O'Farrell wins? : Comments

By Tim Brunero, published 21/3/2011

New South Wales Labor has done a lot for women, can O'Farrell match up?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Interesting, it so happens that an article the cul-de-sac of broken dreams
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/culdesac-of-broken-dreams-20110320-1c23o.html

Points to how under the labor government, a black economy that is exploiting overseas students has grown and flourised.

<In the Land and Environment Court on Thursday, Justice Peter Biscoe said Mr Kelly must pay the costs of environmental group Australians for Sustainable Development (AfSD) after the minister gazetted orders that effectively diminished the group's case.>
http://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/latest/a/-/article/8984847/kelly-to-pay-costs-in-barangaroo-case/

Under Labor, public hospitals have been the losers.
Posted by JamesH, Monday, 21 March 2011 7:35:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I hate to rain on the parade, but we are looking a a government that is almost universally despised by the electorate, so what exactly has the increase in women's participation done for NSW Labor, and further, why should anybody expect that it would?

I'm all for women taking our rightful place in society, and I'm glad we are able to represent the voters in such numbers and without doubt that needs to continue.

But the conflation of women with success doesn't seem to be working in this instance. It's more a case of let women have equal share of the disaster, and wheel in the top woman when everything's really gone pear-shaped under the top men.

Gender isn't a determiner of good governance. Wish it was.
Posted by briar rose, Monday, 21 March 2011 8:32:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Have to agree with Briar Rose here.

If all those women in positions of power had turned NSW, or Australian politics overall, into a model example of how power should be wielded, then I'd be impressed, but that does not seem to be the case at all, does it?

Frankly, Gillard is a worse PM than even Rudd was, as far as I can see.

And the GG.... well, William Deane was a better operator than her, although being male is no secret either, given the performances of Hollingworth and Jeffries to name but two, of too many, males GGs.

Here in Qld, Bligh is a total disaster, and only the disaster of the floods, and a rather stupid public, has lifted her popularity out of the gutter.

But she still has managed to to queer-the-pitch overall.

Again, the drones from the LNP will be no better than her, and there is no chance they'd ever elect a female leader, but simply 'being a woman' is no recipe for anything, either good or bad.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Monday, 21 March 2011 8:41:52 AM
Briar Rose, I agree with you.

There are details that unfortunately I am not allowed to expose, but some bosses, are extremely nasty perhaps a better discription would be sociopathic and they are not always male.
Posted by JamesH, Monday, 21 March 2011 8:45:54 AM
My life has been under dominant women and I have no regrets about that but, if the best women will not stand for election I don't see how they can fit in to a system where they have to be elected to serve.
Perhaps under a USA style of Government they could be appointed to office.
P.S. I was an admirer of Hon Joan Kirner when she was Premier of Victoria. Under her administration the State plunged, almost into benkruptcy.
Posted by phoenix94, Monday, 21 March 2011 9:17:54 AM
I think Tim must be an anti feminist, in a big way.

Why else would he have highlighted that the worst government ever in NSW has been, to a very large extent, led by & driven by women?

If ever there was an article that said you are a fool if you vote foe women, this is it.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 21 March 2011 10:23:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy