The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dobbing in to Centrelink > Comments

Dobbing in to Centrelink : Comments

By Jayne Harobed, published 15/12/2010

Whistleblowing may be the 'right thing to do' but it can be very detrimental to family relationships.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I agree with pelican that this is not a case
of 'whistleblowing'. Rather, it's a very sad
story of one member of the welfare-dependent
underclass dobbing on another, made even more
pathetic by the fact that they are members of
the same unfortunate family.

This sort of petty crap occurs all the time.
An 80-something neighbour of mine was dobbed
in to Centrelink recently for not declaring the
meagre income he ekes from collecting cans and
bottles thrown by the roadside. A Koori lady
I know was dobbed in for receiving money to pay
for food for kids for whom she cares for no other
payment than her widow's pension.

While the self-righteous might cheer on the dobbers,
I wonder if they hold to similar standards the
corporate and political thugs and thieves who are
the objects of real 'whistleblowers'.
Posted by talisman, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 8:54:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Yuyutsu, never feel ashamed for your thoughts, I have read every one of your contributions on OLO - you have a kind good well meaning heart.
Posted by we are unique, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 9:31:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you,

I was not ashamed of my thoughts, but of the fact that I cowardly refrained from publishing them here, believing that I would be fiercely attacked by the previous posters.

I thought that they would blame me for supporting "dole bludgers", or argue that Centrelink is not evil, and I didn't want at this time to get deeply into this whole subject of why Centrelink is indeed evil. I still hold of course that despite being evil, it is not right to cheat Centrelink. Cheating causes more harm to the cheater than to anyone else.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 9:57:55 PM
What a cheap trick! Trying to get the dole people to fight amongst themselves while the real criminals sit back and rob us all.

However.....I see it as........if I have to do the right thing, so should "all" the rest.

See.....this is what capitalism makes good people do( ripping off the system). They see the rich stealing the wealth from the land,( which by their view.........all are getting a fair go..lol..) and so while Australia prides itself on equal-opportunity, (and blindly thinks " she'll be right mate") MOST should be blowing the whistle on the rat-bags that sit in their ivory towers ( banks and big-business does come to mind............and lets not forget the circus pollies that run the show.........and then paint themselves as the almighty honest one's that are up to there necks in dishonesty.

Well monkey see.......monkey do.

This thread was designed to make the lower levels turn on each other.

Dont fall for it. The upper levels have much more to answer for than you.

BLUE
Posted by Deep-Blue, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 10:38:47 PM
we are unique and yuyutsu, thanks for expressing my own feelings on this subject so well. I suspect Jayne is being taught a valuable lesson by her family, which is that if one expects loyalty, first one must demonstrate that one merits it. Jayne has been grossly disloyal to her own family, prioritising the State and its demands more highly.

I don't see any "courage" at all in what Jayne did. She skulked around in secret, tried to hide her role, then tried to blame-shift when she got caught. She tries to justify her actions with a false analogy (the child safety rubbish) and to cap it off she's now complaining because the State she prioritised over her own blood hasn't shown her special treatment by allowing her own Centrelink misdemeanours to go unpunished.

I have no doubt that her family are better off without her obviously rather nasty presence.

As for the rest of you, I'm ashamed to read some of that stuff written by Australians. This country was founded by people who had very often been falsely accused or had been subject to the worst of punishments for the most minor of infringements. The horrible and unaccountable excesses of the British State were burned into the memories of its victims and were a very large part of the reason for Australia's culture developing such a high value for the "fair go" and "standing by your mates".

Events such as the Eureka stockade cemented that ever more strongly.
If you people had been there the gates would have been opened for the troopers and Peter Lalor would have been delivered with a handy anonymous note.

I'm shocked that you are so willing to create a State in which informerism is a standard part of life. This is the stuff of the Stasi and gestapo, with children encouraged to inform on parents and wives against husbands. I'm frankly appalled at what Australians have become if you people are any example.

I don't blame Jewely, she's a Kiwi and doesn't know any better...
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 16 December 2010 6:59:54 AM
Hey Pelican, no report of abuse should be made until the system they enter is known to be non-abusive. It will always be a gamble but we should be making it impossible, at the very least, for anyone to have cards up their sleeve.

Anyone reporting should be able to follow through with an official interest in a child’s continued wellbeing. It is because people are happy to turn their backs and leave it in the relevant authorities’ hands that these systems go unchecked.

The system in place now does not promote protection. It is obvious from several articles here that one cannot complain to the department about the department - they are not likely to ever hang themselves.

Once you have looked into where you could be sending a child … your conscience would stop you making any call. I’d object at even the suggestion of it being "mandatory" to do so.

Pelican:"Whistleblowing refers to the reporting, in the public interest, of information which alleges a breach of the APS Code of Conduct by an employee or employees within an agency. Section 16 of the PS Act provides legislative protection for whistleblowers29 within the APS."

Just covers "employees" from what I have read so far.

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragview/inforce/act+157+1998+ch.6-pt.1-sec.105+0+N?tocnav=y
“must not be published or broadcast in any form that may be accessible by a person in New South Wales whether the publication or broadcast occurs before any proceedings have commenced, during the proceedings or after they are disposed of.”

And this stops anyone protecting a child when the government is part of the abuse.
Posted by Jewely, Thursday, 16 December 2010 11:26:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy