The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dobbing in to Centrelink > Comments

Dobbing in to Centrelink : Comments

By Jayne Harobed, published 15/12/2010

Whistleblowing may be the 'right thing to do' but it can be very detrimental to family relationships.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Sorry Jayne, I don't think you did the right thing at all. You firstly did it behind your brother's back and you then tried to hide behind anonymity. Even when you were uncovered, you tried to pretend that it was all someone else's fault.

The mere fact that your brother was not charged with any offence is pretty clear evidence that he wasn't committing much of an offence. Centrelink investigate fraus cases quite thoroughly, I underrstnad. One of my friends, who has since passed away, spent some time in jail because he got caught fraudulently claiming something or other.

I'm not surprised your family won't talk to you, frankly. I wouldn't, if you were my sister. I'm also not all that surprised that Centrelink have checked on your own entitlements. They don't like being used in family disputes, I'm sure.
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 8:33:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm afraid I'm on YOUR side Jayne. I agree that the best approach would have been to phone it in.

BUT.. looking at the lengths your brother went to ...to hide his crimes and 'get' the whistleblower and the fact that the FAMILY then sided with the criminal..... well sorry to say but it makes you look like the only worthwile person in your whole family.

Now..you made an allegation that he was 'quadruple dipping' and that he was able to cover up the evidence.

This seems very skimpy on detail. You need to flesh it out more to show us 'how' he quadruple dipped, and 'how' he could cover up evidence.

I doubt he could cover it up because it just doesn't seem possible.

If he is quadruple dipping...

a) He must have used fale identities
OR
b) Using his own identity, he claimed things for which he was not eligible.

In both cases, there would be a paper/documentation trail which centrelink could access.

You can tell him that if he want's to rip off 'ME' (a tax payer) how about he come and tell me to my face and we can 'discuss' the matter.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 9:25:56 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jayne you did what you believed was right and your family dumping you actually sounds like a bonus.

Shame you couldn’t convince him to stop ripping off the Australian public in general but people that can’t figure it out for themselves don’t often listen to anyone else either.

Anti what if it was a working solo mum living in govt paid for accommodation while child support is leached from the father, I suspect you’d want someone to nark in that situation.

Jayne:“It really made me wonder, as a mandated reporter for children’s safety, whether it would have been OK with my family if the situation had been that he was abusing his child or beating his partner - or whether the "you don’t do that sort of thing to family" excuse would still be their catch cry.”

As a mandatory reporter you would not have been allowed to be anon as far as I know. Yes your family would probably have the same reaction. Do you care? You must have predicted the reaction to be anonymous to start with. Now you are sure who they are. Probably hurt as well and I am sorry if that is the case… I still think you’re better off without them.

But I would “dump” you for other reasons in that particular situation. Do not report child abuse in Australia unless you know they are going to be better off and the abuse will not be worse where they are sent. Do not report DV in Australia for the same reason
Posted by Jewely, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 9:34:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jewely:"Anti what if it was a working solo mum living in govt paid for accommodation while child support is leached from the father, I suspect you’d want someone to nark in that situation. "

Nope, I would never do it and never have despite having every opportunity to do so. Certainly I wouldn't expect it of a member of her family. The problem here is that Jayne has obviously become deeply steeped in the "no one need ever know your name" school of cowardly, backstabbing informerism that is encouraged by our law enforcers today and authoritarian regimes throughout history. Her only regret is that she got found out and has been rightfully ostracised.

She didn't have enough courage of her own convictions to act openly and I find that quite despicable, especially towards a member of her own family.

As I said earlier, if she were my sister, I doubt I'd have been having much to do with her anyway: I'd be constantly watching my back if she were around.

Jewely:"Do not report child abuse in Australia unless you know they are going to be better off and the abuse will not be worse where they are sent. Do not report DV in Australia for the same reason"

Excellent advice. My apologies for having a go at you in another thread. Blame it on the heat.
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 9:45:49 AM
Oh, I gotchya now Anti... If you are going to do it then be upfront and honest about it? Have to agree, being outraged about something usually does go along with being very loud and clear and wanting people to know where and from who the accusation comes.

Jayne knew what reaction she would receive from her family and that is why she attempted to be anonymous. She’s probably appalled that she was so right about it, and I think this article was written as a stab back at them. Using the DV or child abuse scenario is right as far as her wondering just how far this kind of kin protection should go. Would they hide murderers – probably not, but it was a good dig.

So –

Dear Jaynes Family,

Stop supporting bludgers and making everyone else too scared to say anything out loud. It’s a horrible reflection on your family that first you allow members to rip off other hard working people in this country and then you punish the ones who complain. It is worse how you reacted with a punishment of expulsion from your family. I would be asking your Jayne why she felt she had to complain in the manner she did. If I was Jayne I would be asking myself if being dumped by a family such as yours is really any punishment at all.

Thanks,

Anon.

No worries about having a go Anti. I’m not sure which thread so will consider it global. :)
Posted by Jewely, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 10:32:12 AM
Good on you Jayne, you did the right thing. Perhaps the fact that you stopped your family member, in his minor criminal activity, will have saved him from trying to profit from something more dangerous to his happiness, later in his life. You probably did him a real favour.

Antiseptic, your attitude is quite disgusting. Your belief that you, & your family are entitled to steal from me, & other taxpayers shows you as someone not to be trusted.

A neighbour of mine has a small turf farm. Turf farming is very hard work, & he can not get anyone to take a full time job with him, even offering $800 for unskilled labour. Still, much of his work requires 2 people.

He currently employs 7 or 8 dole bludgers, cash in hand, for one day a week, [or fortnight]. He often has to beg some of these people to come & do a day. He has even had to get me to help, when desperate, & I can't do much more than drive a truck, tractor, or forklift these days.

He lives in constant fear that someone will report some of these people, or him to centrelink. He is well aware that it will be him, not the dole bludger, who will get the greatest penalty. His problem is, either employ them, or shut down.

I can only assume that you, antiseptic, are fully in favour of our local young apprentices, & checkout chicks, struggling to get by on their small wages, should help support these leaches.

Good one mate.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 10:33:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy